Actuator Research Scientist
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
At Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), our goal is to explore, innovate and design novel interfaces and hardware subsystems for the next generation of virtual, augmented, and mixed reality experiences. We are looking for a skilled and motivated Actuator Research Scientist to join our team, whose mission is to research and develop new technologies that will improve human-computer interaction and create new ways to control AR devices. We are specifically looking for a candidate with experience in soft actuation systems. The chosen candidate will work with a diverse and highly interdisciplinary team of researchers and engineers and will have access to cutting edge technology, resources, and testing facilities.
- Propose and conduct design activities in a cross-functional team environment.
- Conceptualize, model, build, test, and refine prototypes of haptic actuators and electromechanical systems while thinking about how it would scale to higher volumes.
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and design requirements in the areas of actuator design, manufacturing and testing.
- Drive projects with internal and external partners.
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Mechatronics, Physics or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience driving design and prototyping of actuators or electromechanical systems.
- Experience in 3D design modeling (e.g. SolidWorks, etc.) and physical prototyping and manufacturing techniques with highly compliant materials.
- Experience with designing and prototyping soft robotic systems with electro-active materials.
- Experience programming in C, C++, MATLAB or Python.
- Experience as architect of electromechanical systems from research to production release.
- Experience with driving engagements with external vendors.
- Experience with soft electrostatic actuation (e.g. DEA), thin film manufacturing and/or high voltage electronics.
- Experience with FEA software.
Back to top