Actuator Research Engineer
- Woodinville, WA
Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities - we're just getting started.
As an Actuator Research Engineer at Facebook Reality Labs (FRL), you will develop state of the art prototype structures, mechanisms, and solutions for actuators and mechatronics systems. You will become part of a team exploring new concepts through analytical modeling and fast iterative prototyping. A wide range of approaches will be explored combining, acoustic, electrical, mechanical, firmware, and software techniques. We want people who are naturally curious about technology, work well in teams; can brainstorm big ideas; work in new technology areas; lead a team of engineer and research scientists driving a concept into a prototype; and can envision how a prototype could transition into a high-volume consumer product.
- Lead design activities in a cross-functional team environment.
- Conceptualize, model, build, test, and refine prototypes of haptic actuators and electromechanical systems while thinking about how it would scale to higher volumes.
- Participate on a research team providing advice/guidance/insights to your peers in your area(s) of expertise.
- Apply rigorous engineering and design requirements in the areas of Actuator design, manufacturing and testing.
- Drive projects with internal and external partners.
- BS in Mechanical, Mechatronics, Physics or equivalent.
- 5+ years of experience driving design and prototyping of actuators or electromechanical systems.
- Experience in 3D design modeling (SolidWorks is our standard) and physical prototyping and manufacturing techniques.
- Direct experience with multiple actuation technologies (for example electromagnetic, pneumatic, hydraulic, piezoelectric etc.)
- Experience with programming.
- Experience with FEA Software.
- MS or PhD preferred.
- Experience as architect of electromechanical devices from research to production release.
- Experience with driving research efforts in consumer electronics organizations.
- Experience with design, manufacturing and testing of haptic actuators.
- Experience programming in C, C++ or MATLAB.
- Experience driving engagements with external vendors.
Back to top