Technical Program Manager
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
A Technical Program Manager has the fundamental capabilities of a technical project manager with respect to planning, organizing, communicating and problem solving. A Technical Program Manager also brings unique skills in leadership, analysis, critical thinking, conflict management and risk management.
A Technical Program Manager is responsible for the development of a project plan and for monitoring the execution of the project per scope, schedule and budget. A Technical Program Manager is able to manage multiple simultaneous projects that are complex or high-risk and is able to develop recovery strategies for projects that stray from their plan. A Technical Program Manager is also able to manage the capture of product requirements in a holistic manner and drives to meet project goals with both quality and integrity.
This position will be in F5's BIG-IP Access Policy Manager team, working on F5's unique security network product.
- Design, build and maintain the project plan including scope, schedule, budget and risk management;
- Manage the gathering of product requirements and project scope in a holistic manner across multiple teams or business functions;
- Monitor progress to plan and design a recovery strategy if project deviates from baseline plan;
- Assemble and publish effective status reports able to serve a variety of audiences from project team member to Executive;
- Design and deliver Executive-level presentations to support the governance process for product lifecycle management (PLM);
- Design and manage effective program-level meetings to communicate status and coordinate efforts;
- Conduct retrospectives on completed projects to support process, policy and tool-set improvements;
- Collaborate with peers, managers and team members across the organization to solve problems, develop plans and coordinate work;
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively across written, verbal and presentation formats to a variety of audiences from engineer to Executive;
- Ability to develop a project schedule using work-breakdown techniques that lead to a defined critical path;
- Ability to design and document a project charter that includes scope, schedule, budget and risk management plan;
- Able to apply critical thinking techniques to analyze problems, develop solutions, build resource forecasts or manage risk;
- Ability to adjust project schedules and scope in a flexible manner to deliver solutions in time;
- Attention to details without losing track of the big picture;
- Ability to use either Waterfall or Agile methods to manage projects which may comprise both software and hardware;
- Ability to lead the gathering of product requirements and project scope across a multi-function team;
- Ability to lead through influence to drive forward both the team and program;
- Ability to manage and facilitate team meetings and initiatives to effectively develop plans and achieve goals;
- Strong working knowledge of technology companies and the interplay between Marketing, Product Development, Manufacturing, Customer Support, Sales and Professional Services;
- Expertise in the use of standard tools for project and portfolio management such as MS Project/MS Project Server;
- Excellent skill at using MS Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and Word.
- Minimum 8 years' experience managing projects at technology-based companies;
- Networking/Security industry experience strongly desired;
- BSEE, BSCS or other Engineering Technology collegiate degree;
- PMP certification with accompanying experience managing projects to a successful conclusion;
- Preferred Agile scrum master certification;
- Experience with JIRA a plus;
- Experience managing a geo-located project team;
- Experience working in a concurrent software development environment as part of a complex build and merge management process;
- Technology product development experience is highly desired.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Duties are performed in a normal office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table;
- Duties require the ability to utilize a computer, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material;
F5 Networks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Meet Some of F5 Networks's Employees
Sr. Software Engineer
Working within the Quality Assurance Department, Maxim is responsible for creating test automation tools, with the primary goal of ensuring the product fulfills its function without issue.
Back to top