Sr Test Engineer - AFM
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Are valued and empowered, collaborative and team oriented, innovative in their approach and passionate about their work. They are reliable, trustworthy and open with a high level of integrity. They value diversity, are inclusive and are committed to a global mindset.
As a result of continued Global growth, we are establishing an EMEA Product Development Centre in Warsaw. A key hire for this growth will be a Test Engineer (TE) who will perform system testing of F5 security products.
- Designing and maintaining a test network of clients, servers, routers, switches, and dedicated test equipment.
- Creating test cases for large projects based on product documentation and functional specifications.
- Creating, documenting and using test procedures, test cases, and software test tools.
- Executing tests and documenting test results.
As the team grows this position will assist with interviewing, hiring and mentoring of new team members. The person in this role will need to be an excellent communicator and will regularly collaborate with individual contributors, leads and managers in Product Development.
Attractions of the Job
You will be working as part of a team focused on the rapidly expanding BIG-IP Application Security Module. Our engineers test firewall technology many top companies deploy across the globe in a variety of industries, on infrastructure that is vital to their operational function. There are many opportunities to specialise in F5s diverse range of solutions and to become Subject Matter Experts in multiple fields. This role opens the door to additional career choices within F5 and beyond. The BIG-IP product, cloud, scripting and testing skills, combined with the high level of technical expertise in this role, teaches a TE skills that makes them in high demand in F5 and in the industry.
- Testing of F5 security features (ACL, DoS mitigation, etc.)
- Plan, implement and review tests and infrastructure that provides feature coverage.
- Provide automated test cases for the assigned features.
- Accurately identifying, documenting and driving resolution of product defects.
- Validating proper firewalls policy enforcement, switching/routing/packet transformation/TCP connections, NAT translations and HTTP transactions are occurring;
- Troubleshooting problems which might be occurring the: physical network hardware; or possibly, in an external client, server or network device.
- Working with other testers, developers, or professional services engineers to qualify and reproduce a problem.
- Works both independently and with senior engineers to understand product requirements, architecture and new feature designs.
- Performs additional projects as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP protocols.
- Hands on technical experience with UNIX or Linux operating systems, and networking hardware.
- Experience with various load generating tools and equipment such as scapy, wget, iperf, ab, jmeter, etc.
- Previous experience testing firewalls and a background in network security is preferred.
- Proven track record in a team environment; able to collaborate well with teams of diverse individuals across multiple geographic sites.
- Analytical thinker with a strong attention to detail.
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, including technical concepts and terminology.
- Must be able to relay technical information to other Product Development team members with varying skill levels.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows environment and Microsoft Office tools.
- Able to work with moderate supervision.
- Three years plus professional experience in the testing and/or development of computer software, preferably in the Linux environment.
- BA/BS degree in computer/engineering related field or equivalent work experience required. MS degree preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in testing fundamentals within a product development environment required. Writing test cases, creating test plans, owning defects from beginning to end. Some test case automation required but not a major job component.
- Experience working with geographically dispersed teams preferred.
- Experience leading teams in a technical organisation preferred.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Duties are performed in a normal office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table.
- Duties require the ability to utilise a computer, communicate via video conference, telephone, IM, and read printed material.
- Working in an environment where work house are scheduled to Product Development needs. This role may be required to work outside of core business hours including early morning, late evening, overnight, weekends, and/or holidays when needed.
- US travel to F5 Networks' San Jose offices will be required as part of the on boarding for this role.
- Occasionally, lifting F5 products and mounting them into racks in a lab environment may be required.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Meet Some of F5 Networks's Employees
Sr. Software Engineer
Working within the Quality Assurance Department, Maxim is responsible for creating test automation tools, with the primary goal of ensuring the product fulfills its function without issue.
Back to top