Professional Services Consultant (Federal)
- Roanoke, VA
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Through our Professional Services Federal/Government Solutions team, you will provide contracted engineering for which we bill at an hourly rate. Consulting engagements can be long-term events measured in months or short-term events measured in days. You are called upon to assist Federal customers and partners in deploying/integrating customer solutions with our products. While this opportunity may involve some project management and scoping, it requires customer expectation management and its technical fulfillment.
The primary focus will be toward F5 Networks products and their integration with customer networks and other equipment. This position is not part of F5's technical support services and is not a corporate escalation point for customer issues. Our Consultants often interface with our Sales Account Executives, but do not report to any given Account Executive. Incidental mentorship may result from working with other F5 employees, but it is not a performance metric.
Finally, you must hold a TS Clearance with Full Polygraph to perform in this position!
Skills, Attributes and experience:
- Excellent presentation, verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to successfully articulate and transfer complex ideas to a wide audience.
- The ability to work well with all levels of customer employees and management, and to be self-motivated and flexible.
- Understanding of server operating environments, including a strong background in UNIX, and experiences with switches, routers and firewalls in intranet/Internet/extranet environments.
- Ability to apply a thorough understanding of IP routing and TCP and UDP service provision in environments that are technically complex and also may be complex from an organizational perspective.
- Strong understanding of the OSI networking model as well as protocols such as HTTP, SSL and other server concepts.
- The ability to work both with and without direct supervision.
- Technical sales of enterprise network solutions to corporate accounts a plus.
- Must have an Active Top Secret Security Clearance with Full Polygraph as you will be engaging with Federal contracts
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, with a focus on architecture and design of network or systems infrastructure, performance and management
- Experience in customer-facing positions as a professional services consultant or engineer, preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of technologies including TCP/IP networking and services such as DNS.
- BS/BA degree or equivalent work experience.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Job may be performed on-site at a customer facility or data center, or in an office environment sitting at a desk or computer table. When not on-site at customer location, the position may be remote or at nearest F5 office.
- Duties require the ability to utilize a computer / laptop, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Job requires the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Duties require the ability to travel up to 50% or greater via automobile and airplane, and may require periodically outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
- This role involves customer facing engagements and may be subject to additional background check requirements per customer requests. All screenings and results will be subject to applicable law and F5 policies, and may be used to determine work assignment or further employment eligibility.
It is also helpful if candidates have experience with
- GateD, ZebOS, NameD, SSH daemons and clients, tcpdump, snoop, ethereal and other packet sniffing software or products.
- Configuring or managing OSPF, BGP, static and dynamic routing with firewall technology for any organization.
- Configuring services such as LDAP and RADIUS services, DNS domains, sub-domains and secondary name servers.
- Personal or professional experience in programming in interpreted languages such as bourne shell, bash and korn shell.
- Professional experience including coding for SOAP/XML communication or Common Object Request Broker Architectures.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Back to top