Product Management Engineer I
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The Product Management Engineer I (PME I) is a technical resource within the Product Management organization responsible product analysis and technical documentation. They are also responsible for the analysis of competitor's products, sales, and strategy. PME Is are expected to have product knowledge (both F5 and competitive), technical sales ability, and a high level of networking engineering knowledge (including design and troubleshooting).
This role resides in the Core Product Management group which includes supporting BIG-IP Local Traffic Manager, Protocol Support, Routing, Programmability and control plane including REST APIs. The role is very hands on and will primarily focus on the control plane areas, including new implementations such as OData.
- Participate in the overall product strategy as well as assist in the creation of sales materials focusing on competitive advantages
- Provide product and market analysis to Product Management and Product Development
- Work independently on technical issues with minimal need for supervision or assistance
- Full ownership of assigned projects throughout the project lifecycle
- Partner closely with other team members and departments
- Perform analyses and testing and of competitor products together with producing reports on the findings.
- Contributing expert on competitors and their products
- Responsible for upholding F5's Business Code of Ethics and for promptly reporting violations of the Code or other company policies
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge in Network Engineering
- Ability to rapidly understand new technologies
- Ability to create clear Power Point presentations and reports based on complex technical data
- Functional knowledge of networking products such as routers, firewalls, Windows and/or Linux/UNIX server
- Strong knowledge of layer 2-7 networking including Ethernet, VLANs, TCP/IP, UDP, DNS, SSL/TLS, HTTP/S and related protocols
- Knowledge of control plane protocols such as JSON and REST frameworks a plus.
- Knowledge of deployment of applications and services using cloud technologies such as OpenStack, Amazon AWS, Azure or Google Cloud Compute a plus.
- Knowledge of Amazon services such as ELB, ALG, Lambda and CFT a plus.
- Knowledge of virtualization technologies such as KVM, VMware a plus.
- Knowledge of containerization technologies such as Docker and Kubernetes a plus.
- Working knowledge of continuous integration methods highly desirable.
- Experience with various performance tools associated with stress testing a plus.
- Duties are performed in a normal office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table.
- Ability to work flexible hours based on a milestone driven test/product development cycle
- Duties may require being on call periodically or working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends). Duties may require the ability to travel via automobile or airplane, with up to 15% of the time spent traveling.
- BA/BS Computer Science Degree or equivalent work experience.
- 3+ years relevant work experience required: Preferably in engineering, IT, technical sales or consulting related to networking products.
- Experience in presenting roadmaps, ideas and competitive reports to internal parties and customers
- Strong interpersonal, written and presentation skills required - both oral and written, with the ability to articulate and educate internal and external parties about complex technology, roadmaps, ideas and concepts.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Meet Some of F5 Networks's Employees
Systems Engineering Manager
Rubyanne manages a team of systems engineers—the technical half of a Sales Account Team—empowering them with the tools they need to be successful as they provide pre-sales support throughout northern California.
Back to top