Manager, Systems Engineering - Tokyo
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Are valued and empowered, collaborative and team oriented, innovative in their approach and passionate about their work. They are reliable, trustworthy and open with a high level of integrity. They value diversity, are inclusive and are committed to a global mindset.
Located in Tokyo, Japan
The Systems Engineering Manager(SEM) is a district manager role, responsible for managing a team of SEs (Systems Engineers) supporting the District Sales strategy. This is a people-focused technical sales professional seen as a leader within the sales organization. The SEM uses technical acumen and business knowledge to develop district strategies for revenue growth. The SEM drives revenue through account planning, and resource planning and allocation. He or she helps meet revenue goals by developing and driving their SE team's goals, action plans, and activities, as well as overseeing day-to-day account level activities. The SEM is responsible for the readiness and progress of the SE teams to be able to take ownership of and develop their accounts and/or territories in selling F5 products and solutions. He or she provides mentorship and coaching, as well as direct management to build, maintain and enhance a high-performance SE team. He or she helps meet district revenue goals overseeing day-to-day account-level activities, pulling in external resources such as Solution Architects (SAs) or Specialist SEs (SSEs) to achieve district and account development plans. The SEM is also expected to collaborate effectively with the SED and regional Sales District Managers (DSMs) in order to develop account/territory, district, and opportunity plans. They are expected to manage their SE team's resources effectively, putting together the resources necessary to enable their SEs to successfully achieve their goals.
- Present F5's vision and technical value proposition to customers and partners
- Drive the design of customer-oriented solutions using F5
- Develop technical knowledge of F5 and associated technologies
- Expected to have public speaking experience.
Systems Engineering Management
Organization / SE Go-to-market
- Provide leadership and guidance to build and lead a high performing SE team.
- Define an organizational strategy to support the District Business plan.
- Define a technical strategy to support the District Business plan
- Develop and execute on an SE development plan, identifying each member's area for improvement and helping them develop new skill sets.
- Recruit, select, and train SEs based on SED's regional business plan.
- Set goals for individual SEs, then coach and monitor to help them achieve those goals.
- Work with DSM to assign resources from their SE team to own the account/territory.
- Work with DSM and SED to pull in and manage extra resources when necessary to achieve a business goal.
- Manage CSR process and escalate to SED as required.
- Monitor and measure team progress against the District Business plan and recommend change as needed.
- Define and assess yearly performance objectives.
- Put in place and execute on Performance Improvement Plans in collaboration with the SED and HR.
Resource Planning and Allocation
- Work with the DSM to create for their district a technical resource plan that will achieve sales targets as well as account development goals.
- Map accounts and territories to be owned by their team's SEs.
- Collaborate with DSM to prioritize and target team activities; review quantitative information to identify and explain trends. Align resources to deliver on commitments and drive results.
- Focus on growing team's capabilities and skill sets to create a high-performing team that can take ownership and effectively manage their accounts and territories. Align resources to help their SEs deliver on commitments and drive results.
- Define a development path for each SE in the team in collaboration with the SED. This will include both internal and external training, and certification
- Implement SE Skills Assessment and encourage SEs to grow their own skill sets, both in technology (both F5 and non-F5) and in soft skills (presentation, leading customer discussions, negotiating on technical designs, etc.).
- Ensure that SEs have the proper tools, resources, and education opportunities.
- Participate and contribute to regular district sales forecast and pipeline reviews.
- Establish and drive process of technical assessment and strategy (Technical Account Plans, Account Plans and Whitespace Analysis), and competitive positioning including documented installed base (F5 and competitive) analysis for all named accounts.
- Align resources such as SAs/SSEs to achieve technical strategy goals.
- Drive tracking and reporting team metrics in SFDC.
- Own effective Technical closure of opportunities in their District and drive SE's to be focused on achieving highest level of technical experience with the customer.
- Expert in monitoring and measure team progress against business plan and metrics and recommending changes as needed.
- Develop senior management-level relationships with Customers, Vendors, Partners and internal corporate functional organizations.
- Engage with Product Management and Solution Architects to ensure representation of the respective regional requirements.
- Lead cross functional projects and initiatives beyond immediate area of responsibility, and in complex multi-district environments within the region.
- Initiate and facilitate communications and understanding of customer requirements between customers, corporate, and the field.
- Develop team member's capabilities in support of individual career goals and team objectives.
- Create an empowered SE team that can take effective ownership of their accounts and territories.
- Expertly drive account and resource planning for their district and actively collaborate with SED and DSM to track plans and course correct as necessary.
- Understand the value of best practices and apply best practices and other tools to drive business results.
- Communicate a clear vision and strategy for the account that inspires and empowers the team to execute within a common framework.
- Able to get things done without direct line authority; able to exercise personal influence, resolve conflict, and bring about required behaviors.
- Build the capabilities needed to deliver on the team's short and long term goal, including identification and development of a strong pipeline of the best talent from both internal and external candidate pools.
- Support team members by providing transparency and information during organizational changes.
- Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas, including executive communication and presentation skills.
- Provide leadership and direction based on broad knowledge of their district's business economics and trends of the relevant industries and vertical markets, and how F5's solutions add financial and strategic value.
- Establish collaborative relationships built on trust and commitment and develop relationships at multiple levels within customer accounts. Establish credibility and relevancy in relationship with customer.
- Provide thought leadership and account direction to customer and partner based on short and long-term business and industry drivers.
- Expert understanding of customer's business models and helps the team identify an architecture and/or solution that provides ROI.
- Understanding of channel partner ecosystem relevant to their district's accounts and/or territories.
- Ability to understand and articulate different domain/market segment challenges and how F5 solutions help address them.
- Understanding of Application Delivery Controllers
- Advanced understanding of Application architecture industry trends
- Ability to articulate and present technical thought leadership in discussions with their customers and customer-targeted events is a critical requirement.
- Knowledge and understanding of one or more of the Public Cloud infrastructures - AWS, Azure or GCP
- Understanding concepts for application development and operation in public and private cloud, including container environments (DevOps) is a plus
- Understanding of the Application Development Lifecycle (Legacy and/or API-driven) is a plus
- Programming knowledge is a plus
- Understanding of Application Security industry's ecosystem of products and solutions associated with their district's account/territory is a plus
SE Transformation - This experience is a plus
- Transformed, managed and coached a SE team through an organizational transformation of selling motions from Hardware to Software, from Product to Solution selling, from Partner focused to High Touch, as well as from the role supporting account managers from the sidelines to taking ownership of their accounts and territory.
- Must be able to read, write and speak Japanese and English fluently.
- Multiple language skills are a plus.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- 10+ years' experience supporting technical sales of Application Architecture and Solutions or Enterprise network solutions to corporate accounts or equivalent industry experience.
- 5+years' experience managing technical sales engineers or equivalent experience in team leader/customer management.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Daily computer use in a home/office environment. Duties require the ability to utilize a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Duties may require travel via automobile, train, or airplane, and may require being on call periodically and working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
F5 Networks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Back to top