Manager, Global Services Data Centers and Labs
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
We are seeking an experienced and dynamic leader to run the Global Services (GS) Data Centers and Lab Team. You will be a key member of our GS Leadership team leading a highly skilled technical team of lab network engineers, across multiple levels of experience and seniority.
Your role is to guide the evolution of our team through F5's business model transformation, developing cloud and automation capabilities, and collaborating with key business units to ensure our team is meeting the needs. You will dive into hard problems and craft solutions to take it on. Additionally, you will handle the Worldwide Global Support Lab personnel ensuring we have the equipment, networks and environments to provide optimal regional lab performance.
We believe in giving back to the team and as a valued member, you will provide guidance to the group as you get the chance to lead our team members to support a cross functional network data center lab and all functions to achieve key performance metrics in support of F5 GS teams supporting our customers. You will make sure that the lab has all equipment, applications and the network structure needed to test customer configurations and support reproductions as they relate to Support issues. We want you to be forward-looking to ensure the GS Lab is ready and able to support F5's Global Services needs in the coming years as F5 continues to grow in: HW, SW, Cloud, Hybrid Cloud, etc. You'll provide ongoing support for new and current test environments and lab infrastructure that are used by all Consulting and Support engineers and to ensure optimal productivity for lab users.
What will you do?
- Lead the evolution of the GS Lab department through F5's Digital Transformation, bringing a stronger cloud capability to the functionality of the department
- Influence collaboration with key partners user communities (Network Support, Engineering Services, Premium Plus, New Product Introduction, Training, etc.) to make certain our department is meeting their needs.
- Your management duties include the supervision of exempt and sometimes, nonexempt level staff. This includes scheduling team member working hours to ensure proper coverage, conducting performance evaluations, approving paid time-off (PTO), assigning or delegating work, providing on-the-job training, giving guidance to staff, conducting performance improvement plans, taking disciplinary action, and interviewing candidates for open positions.
- You ensure high customer satisfaction for all lab user related interactions by guiding the team to follow the processes and standards outlined in F5's Quality Management System, in support of our ISO9000 certificate.
- You will lead the team on creation, publishing, and maintaining GS Lab process documentation and user facing intranet sites.
- Monitor and support the current infrastructure to make sure all systems remain online so users are not adversely impacted.
- Oversight of the installing and administering Windows AND Linux, Solaris, HP/UX or similar systems: VMware ESX, GSX, VMserver or other virtualization products
- Deep knowledge in setting up, racking, administering, diagnose and troubleshoot servers, storages and various networks.
- Play a significant role in long-term planning and budgeting for future lab growth, based on future Product Development, Engineering Services, Network Support Services needs and technologies.
- Coordinate procurement of additional software and hardware equipment to ensure the lab is on the front edge of technology.
- Advise and manage the of end of life equipment processes and life cycle management implementations.
- Establish and ensure collaboration with both the IT department and Corp Ops team regarding data center operations at every lab site Worldwide.
- You'll evaluate the new networking and power infrastructure to improve lab reliability.
- Responsible for scheduling and coordinating 7X24 support of GS Data Center labs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bring these skills with you:
- You have a consistent record in managing and developing employees.
- Effective Team Builder; You posses a passion for managing and building technical teams; creates strong morale and spirit in own teams; shares wins and successes; fosters open dialogue; holds people responsible for their work and accountable to completing tasks; defines success in terms of the whole team; creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
- The ideal person, should be able to write and verbally communicate well, with a fluency in the English language to show us your excellent interpersonal, planning, documentation, organization, and problem-solving skills.
- You have the background to create and maintain a highly-collaborative technical team environment for our team. This will also include working collaboratively with peer teams and departments and ensuring the team meets deadlines on times.
- Deep understanding on how to drive and complete multiple, complex technical projects with tight deadlines concurrently
- Advanced user of at least two of the following; Windows, Linux, Solaris or similar operating systems
- You have worked with equipment budgeting and purchasing in depth.
- Display to us you perform well in a dynamic environment.
- Advanced knowledge of network systems including 10Gib and Layer 2/3 Switching
- You can implement, follow and adhere to policies, procedures and standards relating to Systems management and system lifecycle management
- Significant competence and experience in deploying, maintaining and growing virtual environments.
- Previous experience dealing/negotiating with 3rd party vendors
- Hands-on, in-depth technical experience working with TCP/IP networking (LANs, WANs, switches, routers, etc.), data center operations, VPN/firewalls, and network security.
- Familiarity with automation/orchestration and newer technology/methodology such as SDN/SDWAN, DevOps, and IaC (Infrastructure as Code).
- Project management skills; ability to coordinate multi-functional resources effectively to achieve objectives.
- Knowledge and technical experience working with client operating systems, including Windows & Linux
What's required of me?
- You bring 7 years of experience in IT networking; at least 3 years directly responsible for a lab and/or data center environment.
- 3+ years people management experience (ideally in a data center).
- You hold a Bachelor's degree in a related discipline or equivalent applicable equivalent managerial experience.
- Technical certifications are desirable.
- You've acquired extensive experience with cloud and hybrid cloud environments across all prime vendors and providers.
- It would be awesome if your experience included managing engineers.
- Our team performs in an office environment, F5 facility, Colocation Data center environment.
- Sometimes, we might need you to be on call and have you work outside our normal hours (evenings and weekends). You'll be asked to travel nationally and internationally 5%-10% of the time spent.
- Job requires the ability to lift up to 70 lbs.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Back to top