Enterprise Network Engineer
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
The job is located in Guadalajara, Mexico.
F5 is growing! Do you want a job you love? To have a career that provides you with the opportunity to join the global leader in advanced application traffic manager as a member of our top-tier support organization?
The Enterprise Network Engineering (ENE) team at F5 consists of talented engineers who are trusted both internally and externally to bring sound analyses to bewildering problems, delivering sophisticated and comprehensive solutions. In this role you will break the mold; the traditional lines between network engineering, system administration, and application development are blurring with today's abstracted environments, and our team applies their expertise in each of these to make advanced technology work.
When not solving customer support issues, you may spend time mentoring, building tools to improve both the organization and troubleshooting processes, creating training to spread knowledge throughout the business, or investigating new technologies.
A good candidate for this role has a passion for solving problems, leveraging technology in creative ways to accomplish goals, and sharing knowledge with others. A great candidate is cool under pressure, a master of carefully disentangling and solving the most complex of mysteries, and always looking for opportunities to improve the way things work. When faced with the unknown, an ENE's first response is "Challenge Accepted."
Your Day to Day:
- As the highest tier of technical support within F5, take ownership of issues and drive them to resolution.
- Handle technical issues of any complexity with minimal supervision.
- Appropriately manage time and customer issues based on issue severity and business needs.
- Develop creative solutions to problems, and prove them out in a lab environment.
- Thrive on solving complex technical challenges that can span the OSI model into application behavior and software/hardware interactions.
- Direct interaction with Product Development (PD) group on behalf of all external organizations and customers.
- Collaborate with the PD team and Product Management to ensure products are implemented in ways that meet customer requirements.
- Participate in knowledge-share via documentation creation, training, and mentoring.
- ENEs will spend about 70% working on escalations (customer issues), and 30% working on other departmental projects.
- ATM: Provide support for the core TMOS platform and components (BIG-IP LTM and GTM), spanning networking layers and complex software/hardware interactions.
- ASM: Support for web application firewalls and denial of service defense
- AFM: Support for network layer firewalls and denial of service defense
- Responsible for upholding F5's Business Code of Ethics, and for promptly reporting violations of the Code or other company policies.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Show us your skills:
- Experience working in tools such as Fiddler, HttpWatch, Burp Suite, socat, and netcat.
- Packet manipulation and crafting utilizing tools, for example hping, scapy, and iptables.
- Traffic generation and replay using tools such as apachebench and tcpreplay.
- Comfortable with the layers of abstraction present in virtualization, encapsulation, and clustered computing environments.
- Knowledgable with a wide variety of networking topics.
- Familiarity with a programming or scripting language.
- Undaunted by unknown technologies / quickly capable of coming up to speed on new technologies.
- You have strong interpersonal and presentation skills, both oral and written. You will be asked to articulate deeply complex technical topics to customers, peers, and non-technical personnel in understandable manners.
- Skills set to defuse complicated technical and political situations with enterprise customers.
- Familiarity with web servers (e.g. Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, IIS)
- Familiarity with SQL databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite, MS SQL)
- Familiarity with system diagnostic / debugging utilities (e.g. gdb, strace, dtrace, SystemTap)
- Strong background in programming or scripting languages:
- node.js, Twisted, event-driven programming
- Strong/Expert knowledge in some of the following:
- Switching and Routing
- TLS / SSL, IPsec, and cryptography
- Web technologies:
- SDN, OpenFlow, VXLAN, NVGRE
- JSON, REST, SOAP, WebSockets
- HTML, JS, CSS
- HTTP, HTTP/2, SPDY
- OpenStack, AWS, elastic computing
- TCP optimization and tuning
- DNS and DNSSEC
- Network Security
- Tiered application architectures
What's required of me?
- You'll join us with 8 years of relevant work experience.
- You have an undergraduate Computer Science degree or equivalent work experience.
- Deep conceptual knowledge of the architecture of software and networking protocols; why things are designed the way they are.
- Advanced technical knowledge and experience with troubleshooting Linux / UNIX.
- You feel at home in a *nix CLI environment.
- You possess an in-depth technical knowledge of and experience troubleshooting TCP/IP networks
- Detailed experience with protocol analysis using tools such as tcpdump, tshark, and Wireshark.
- Be willing to periodically work outside our normal business hours (on call, evenings and weekends).
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Back to top