Director, System Engineering
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Are valued and empowered, collaborative and team oriented, innovative in their approach and passionate about their work. They are reliable, trustworthy and open with a high level of integrity. They value diversity, are inclusive and are committed to a global mindset.
Located in Australia
The Systems Engineering Director(SED) is a regional manager role, responsible for managing a team of SEs supporting the Regional Sales strategy. This is a people-focused technical sales professional seen as a leader within the sales organization. The SE Director uses technical acumen and business knowledge to develop regional strategies for revenue growth. The SED drives revenue through account planning, and resource planning and allocation. He helps meet revenue goals by developing and driving innovative technical programs and overseeing day-to-day account level activities. The SED is responsible for the readiness of the SE teams to sell F5 products and solutions. He provides mentorship and coaching, as well as direct management to lower level resources, to build, maintain and enhance a high-performance SE team. He helps meet regional revenue goals by driving innovative technical programs, and overseeing day-to-day account-level activities. The SED leverages his/her internal and external network of business relationships to drive collaboration and achieve a broad range of business goals and regional initiatives. The SED is also expected to collaborate effectively with his APCJ counterparts and Solution Architects to bring synergies / usecases from other regions to fruition in India.
- Present F5's vision and technical value proposition to customers and partners
- Support F5 and partner seminars and industry trade shows
- Drive the design of customer oriented solutions using F5
- Develop technical knowledge of F5 and associated technologies
Organization / SE Go-to-market
- Provide leadership, guidance and direction to lead a high performing SE team.
- Define an organizational strategy to support the Regional Business plan.
- Define a technical strategy to support the Regional Business plan.
- Define compensation plan based on regional goals.
- Develop and execute on a retention strategy and analyze turnover.
- Define Headcount plan to support the Regional Business Plan.
- Build a talent pipeline of potential candidates.
- Works with Sales Leadership and Finance to define quarterly budget.
- Effective monetization of SE time and optimization of APCJ resources to India's benefit
- Monitor and measure team progress against the Regional Business plan and recommend change as needed.
- Define and assess yearly performance objectives.
- Define and assess quarterly KSOs.
- Put in place and execute on Performance Improvement Plans in collaboration with the RVP SE and HR.
Resource Planning and Allocation
- Create technical resource plan for region based on SE and Sales feedback as well as local market demand.
- Define Major, Territory and Channel Accounts mapped to SEs.
- Collaborate with regional Sales Leadership to prioritize and target team opportunities; review quantitative information to identify and explain trends. Align resources to deliver on commitments and drive results.
- Focus on building capacity to achieve high team performance based on customer resource needs. Align resources to deliver on commitments and drive results.
- Define a development path for each SE in the team in collaboration with the SED. This will include both internal and external training, and certification
- Implement SE Skills Assessment and establish highest levels of SE Specialisation (as per corporate guidelines)
- Define and drive the SME program within the region and theatre, to develop expertise in F5 technologies and solutions.
- Participate and contribute to regular sales forecast and pipeline reviews.
- Establish and drive process of technical assessment and strategy (Technical Account Plans, Account Plans and Whitespace Analysis), and competitive positioning including documented installed base (F5 and competitive) analysis for all named accounts.
- With Solution Architects, lead a virtual team to technical account strategies that align to customer business requirements and goals. Assign and/or request for appropriate resources.
- Assist in determining and requesting for domain / solution-focused resources (e.g. Solution Architects, Product Management) when necessary.
- Assist in qualified partner identification.
- Drive tracking and reporting team metrics in SFDC.
- Own effective Technical closure of opportunities in Region and drive SE's to be focused on achieving highest level of technical experience with the customer.
- Expert in monitoring and measure team progress against business plan and metrics and recommending changes as needed.
- Develop senior management-level relationships with Customers, Vendors, Partners and internal corporate functional organizations.
- Engage with Product Management and Solution Architects to ensure representation of the respective regional requirements.
- Lead cross functional projects and initiatives beyond immediate area of responsibility, and in complex multi-national environments within the theatre.
- Initiate and facilitate communications and understanding of customer requirements between customers, corporate, and the field.
- Actively initiate programs to improve customer experience to increase brand loyalty for F5.
- Develop team member's capabilities in support of individual career goals and team objectives. Monitor and report on team empowerment.
- Expertly drive account and resource planning for region and actively collaborate with Sales Leadership to track plans and course correct as necessary.
- Advanced practitioner of managing and coaching technical people and the associated process of running a region.
- Understand the value of best practices and apply best practices and other tools to drive business results.
- Communicate a clear vision and strategy for the account that inspires and empowers the team to execute within a common framework.
- Able to get things done without direct line authority; able to exercise personal influence, resolve conflict, and bring about required behaviors.
- Build the capabilities needed to deliver on the team's short and long term goal, including identification and development of a strong pipeline of the best talent from both internal and external candidate pools.
- Support team members by providing transparency and information during organizational changes.
- Clearly and succinctly convey information and ideas, including executive communication and presentation skills.
- Provide leadership and direction based on broad knowledge of the region's business economics and trends of various industries and vertical markets, and how F5's solutions add financial and strategic value.
- Establish collaborative relationships built on trust and commitment and develop relationships at multiple levels within customer accounts. Establish credibility and relevancy in relationship with customer.
- Provide thought leadership and account direction to customer and partner based on short and long-term business and industry drivers.
- Expert understanding of customer's business models and helps the team identify an architecture and/or solution that provides ROI.
- Understanding of regional channel partner ecosystem.
- Ability to understand and articulate different domain/market segment challenges and how F5 solutions help address them.
- Understanding of Application Delivery Controllers
- Advanced understanding of Application architecture industry trends
- Knowledge and understanding of one or more of the Public Cloud infrastructures
- Container concepts and architecture
- Public and private cloud concepts, including container environments
- Understanding of the Application Development Lifecycle is a plus
- Programming knowledge is a plus
- Application Security industry trends, including new products and solutions is a plus
- Ability to articulate and present technical thought leadership topics in F5/Partner events is a critical requirement
- Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Must also be fluent in local language as this role supports our local customers.
- Multiple language skills are a plus.
Qualifications, Knowledge and Skills
- 15+ years' experience supporting technical sales of Application Solutions or Enterprise network solutions to corporate accounts or equivalent industry experience.
- 7+years' experience managing technical sales engineers in a vendor.
- Has managed a team of 15 SEs or more.
- Has managed a region in Asia Pacific.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Daily computer use in an office environment. Duties require the ability to utilize a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
- Duties may require travel via automobile, locomotion or airplane, and may require being on call periodically and working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends).
F5 Networks, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Meet Some of F5 Networks's Employees
Systems Engineering Manager
Rubyanne manages a team of systems engineers—the technical half of a Sales Account Team—empowering them with the tools they need to be successful as they provide pre-sales support throughout northern California.
Back to top