Application Support Engineer
Come work at a place where innovation and teamwork come together to support the most exciting missions in the world!
Are valued and empowered, collaborative and team oriented, innovative in their approach and passionate about their work. They are reliable, trustworthy and open with a high level of integrity. They value diversity, are inclusive and are committed to a global mindset
The Application Support Engineer (known internally as Network Support Engineer) provides remote technical assistance on F5 Access Technology solutions to internal and external customers and F5 partners, with a specific focus on BIG-IP Access Policy Manager (APM). This role manages multiple Service Requests (SRs) of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors, and provides daily customer communication via phone and email. Collaborates with senior internal and external personnel in own area of expertise. Work hours are scheduled shifts corresponding to forecasted customer activity.
Out team members exhibit strong competence utilizing a number of troubleshooting tools, facilities and equipment in the course of providing resolutions to SRs, provide timely communication to our customers, and accept ownership of issues until resolution is delivered, providing world class customer satisfaction.
Attractions of the Job:
You will work as a part of a dynamic, highly technical team on a number of F5 technologies. Our engineers assist many top companies across the globe in a variety of industries, on infrastructure that is vital to their business operations. There are many opportunities to specialize in F5's diverse catalog of solutions and become subject matter experts in multiple fields. This role opens the door to senior support positions and other career choices at F5. The customer handling skills, combined with the high level of technical expertise this role will teach NSEs are in high demand at F5 and throughout the industry.
• First major responsibility (40% of time)
o Provides F5 customers and partners with a consistently outstanding support experience
o Proactively and effectively communicates status, plan of action, and resolution of issues
o Provides Level 1 to Level 3 technical support to remotely troubleshoot and resolve issues on F5 hardware and software products
• Second major responsibility (30% of time)
o Manages multiple cases and prioritizes based upon customer and business needs
o Effectively manages case escalations to tier 3 (Engineering Services) while maintaining customer communication
• Third major responsibility (20% of time)
o Maintains high schedule adherence (work hours and on-phone time)
• Fourth major responsibility (10% of time)
o Participates in on-going training with F5 products and related technologies
o Performs additional projects as required
Note: The percentages of time noted above are current estimates and may change at any time depending on the business needs of the company.
• Responsible for upholding F5's Business Code of Ethics and for promptly reporting violations of the Code or other company policies.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Excellent customer service skills
• Hands-on technical experience with, and very knowledgeable on, LAN/WAN operations, Network protocols, UNIX or Linux Operating systems, and/or networking hardware
• Thorough knowledge of TCP/IP protocols and the OSI model with focus on Layer 7
• Hands-on experience using network protocol analyzers such as tcpdump, ssldump, wireshark
• Hands-on experience using debugging tools such as HttpWatch, Live HTTP Headers, Fiddler, Firebug.
• Intermediate understanding of routing, VPN solutions (SSL/TLS/PKI), and common ports and protocols
• VLAN - setup and implementation.
• Working knowledge of standard UNIX/Linux command line tools
• Able to work with moderate to low supervision
• Proven track record in a team environment
• Analytical thinker with strong attention to detail
• Must be able to read, write and speak English fluently, including technical concepts and terminology; fluency in additional languages is desirable
• Must be able to relay technical information to customers with varying skill levels
• Flexible approach to working hours to provide on call and out of hours coverage
• Familiarity with F5 load balancing and security products
• Background in the following areas would be beneficial: load balancing, application delivery controllers, access-gateway, reverse & forward proxies, firewalls.
• Intermediate knowledge of Windows Server Administration and troubleshooting utilities
• Intermediate knowledge of authentication protocols - Kerberos, Active Directory, Radius, LDAP, RSA, and server-based SSL
• Experience with HTTP Basic Authentication, Forms-based Authentication, etc
• Familiarity with SAML
• Knowledge of SNMP
• Knowledge of SIP and Voice Over IP (VOIP)
• Working knowledge of HTML and web design standards
• Experience with common network troubleshooting tools for SSL/VPN solutions such as HTTPWatch and ssldump
• Siebel SCM or other case management system experience
• Intermediate knowledge of Microsoft Enterprise suite (Exchange, Sharepoint, etc) and Windows Server Administration & Troubleshooting utilities.
• Intermediate knowledge of Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) encompassing Citrix Xen architecture (XenApp, XenDesktop, XenServer, StoreFront), VMware View and Microsoft HyperV.
• In-depth understanding of SSL VPN solutions.
• Basic knowledge of common encryption and hashing standards
• Basic troubleshooting proficiency in multiple client side operating systems - Windows, Apple, iOS, Android, etc
• Basic troubleshooting proficiency with various client-side components - browsers, anti-virus, firewalls, etc
• Experience with network security practices
• Working knowledge of HTML and web design standards
• Working knowledge of Terminal Services (Microsoft/Citrix)
• Working knowledge of common third party vendor solutions - Exchange/CAS, SharePoint, Citrix, etc
• Familiarity with iRules
• Knowledge of at least one of the following: DNS/BIND protocol, network or data center firewall operations
• Experience with WAN optimization applications a plus (for WANOpt focus)
• Demonstrated experience in a technical support role, working with relevant technologies
• Support experience with corporate customers in production environments
• BA/BS degree or equivalent professional experience
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
Duties are performed in a normal office environment while sitting at a desk or computer table. Duties require the ability to utilize a computer, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material.
This role will work a Monday to Friday working week and onboarding will include 3 weeks' technical training in Seattle
F5 Networks is an equal opportunity employer and strongly supports diversity in the workplace.
The Job Description is intended to be a general representation of the responsibilities and requirements of the job. However, the description may not be all-inclusive, and responsibilities and requirements are subject to change.
Equal Employment Opportunity
It is the policy of F5 to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and employment applicants without regard to unlawful considerations of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, sensory, physical, or mental disability, marital status, veteran or military status, genetic information, or any other classification protected by applicable local, state, or federal laws. This policy applies to all aspects of employment, including, but not limited to, hiring, job assignment, compensation, promotion, benefits, training, discipline, and termination. Reasonable accommodation is available for qualified individuals with disabilities, upon request.
Back to top