Elementary Special Education Teacher
- New York, NY
Elementary Special Education Teacher
Brooklyn, New York
In-Person Work Preferred/Required Based on Location
WHO WE ARE
Explore Schools is a network of public charter schools providing 2,000 students in Brooklyn with the outstanding education they deserve. We strive to provide students with the academic skills and critical-thinking abilities they need to succeed in a college-preparatory high school and beyond.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
We believe that all children can learn when immersed in a rich environment full of high expectations, rigorous academics, and caring, committed adults. We believe equity and excellence are not mutually exclusive—we can meet the needs of all students in our schools, while actively engaging parents and driving toward excellent academic results. We envision a pathway to equity that features outstanding curriculum and instruction as well as ample opportunities for students to achieve success in and out of the classroom. We believe it is both our privilege and responsibility to help close the opportunity gap in the Brooklyn community.
WHO YOU ARE
You are a special educator with experience teaching at-risk students in grades K-5. You are ready to provide targeted and individualized instruction to students. You prioritize student engagement, critical thinking, and relationship building in the classroom. You have demonstrated that you are a reflective practitioner willing to go above and beyond to meet the needs of your students, and educating the whole child.
- Dedicated to working in communities that have historically been underserved and under-resourced
- Committed to thoughtfully engaging in identity work necessary to take a culturally responsive approach to pedagogy and relationship-building with students and colleagues
- Experience providing targeted and individualized instruction to students with special needs
- Exceptional level of patience and focus to overcome challenges, and achieve results
- Exceptional communication skills: you shine in front of the classroom and through written and verbal communication
- Detail-oriented, and highly organized
- Classroom teaching experience required; 2 years preferred
- New York State Teaching Certification, preferred
- Master’s Degree in Education, preferred
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Nearly 20% of our students are of special needs. As an Elementary Special Education Teacher, you will work with our special education population through individualized lessons. You will be expected to manage the following daily:
- Provide targeted small group instruction to students throughout the day
- Provide direct service to students to help them achieve their IEP goals
- Work collaboratively with grade level teams across content areas
- Assist teachers with differentiation in the classroom
- Collaborate as part of the student intervention referral team
- Support with assessment of students as a proctor and monitor of examinations, including the administration of testing accommodations
- Provide a range of instructional, management, and assessment strategies to meet the different needs of students
- Facilitate testing accommodations
- Assist with non-instructional supervision of students, such as arrival/dismissal, hallway monitoring, substitute teaching, lunch and playground duty, or supervision of extracurricular activities
- Keep accurate and organized records of student information
BENEFITS AND PERKS
Explore staff enjoy a competitive salary and benefits, generous vacation-including network shutdown days, considerable matching of retirement contribution, and more.
Additionally, you can expect:
- Professional development: teachers participate in weekly PD, year-round retreats and trainings, and on-going coaching by professionals
- Continued education support: staff are eligible to receive some scholarship towards qualifying certification costs or higher education tuition
- Flexible and reflective leadership: dedicated to staff development, and committed to direct and sensitive communication
- Driven and passionate colleagues who contribute to a professional and collaborative work environment
Explore is a network of 8 charter schools located in Canarsie, Crown Heights, and Flatbush communities of Brooklyn, NY. Our network office is located in DUMBO, Brooklyn. This role is based in one of our 8 schools.For this specific role, in-person work could be a requirement depending on the location of the position. Our schools are currently operating remotely, but plan to reopen with a hybrid model when it is safe to do so, tentatively in mid-October. We'll be able to share more specifics work requirements if you are to move forward in the interview process.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Explore Schools is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We do not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, gender expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran or military status.
Back to top