At Expel, we craft experiences that clarify understanding, improve decision-making, and help people work better. A lot of companies promise UX a seat at the table—Expel delivers! UX isn't an afterthought, it's a critical differentiator with champions at the highest levels. Instead of working in a vacuum, we take a lead role in discovery, research, and feature definition and are deeply involved during development, rollout, and adoption. No politics, no BS, just a team of exceptionally smart, dedicated professionals who want the best experience for our customers.
Want to join our team? We're looking for a hybrid designer and writer to lead UX on our notifications team
You'll own the problem of effectively communicating to customers what's happening in their environment and what they need to do to be more secure. On the design side, you'll be responsible for our notifications rule-builder UI and improving the readability and usability of messages in the product UI, Slack, Teams, email, and ticketing systems—as well as coming up with new and better ideas for our Slack bot.
What Expel can do for you
- Provide regular opportunities to talk directly with customers and do high-quality research.
- Put you on a defined promotion path, as a people manager or technical leader.
- Support your professional development with a generous yearly conference and training budget.
- Give regular feedback on your performance via weekly 1:1s, quarterly reviews, and formal and informal critique sessions with the UX team.
- Nurture your talent with a humane, collaborative team culture and a manager who's got your back. We're serious about inclusion, diversity, and creating a workplace where you can be yourself and speak your mind without fear.
- Back up your design vision with a group of fast, conscientious developers eager to experiment with you.
What you can do for Expel
- Maintain and expand our configurable notifications UI so customers receive exactly the messages they want, when and where they want them.
- Get intimately familiar with how customers consume information from our product and find opportunities to increase efficiency, engagement, understanding, and value.
- Triage notifications requests from other teams and work with them to understand the problem and desired outcomes.
- Monitor service delivery channels for rogue notifications, so we can make them consistent and correct.
- Craft new message templates for multiple delivery methods (email, Slack, ticketing) in our third-party tool, Courier.
- Collaborate with engineers to ensure notifications have the correct data and formatting, and get to know the back-end architecture and technical constraints.
- Follow and contribute to our design system and writing style guide.
What you should bring with you
- Experience designing task-based UI, such as SaaS, e-commerce, productivity software, or industrial applications—in particular we're hoping you have experience designing a rule-builder UI, or something similar.
- Strong prioritization skills—understanding when the solution requires pixel perfect designs for every edge case, or when a rough sketch is good enough.
- Clear articulation of the design problem, the tradeoffs you've made in your solution, and the impact of different approaches.
- A high degree of comfort making decisions without all the information, and learning from the inevitable wrong turns.
- Curiosity and willingness to dive into the technical details as needed.
- Flawless grammar and punctuation.
- Examples of customer-facing messaging you've written. We're not looking for Shakespeare, just straightforward language that gets right to the point.
Experience and education
- Experience with reusable and configurable templates—such as email templates, design systems, configurators, products with white-labeling UI, or similar—will be very helpful.
- At least a year of work on a cross-functional product team where you collaborated with product managers and engineers. Experience in cybersecurity is helpful, but not required.
- Experience with one of the popular UX design tools, such as Sketch, InVision, Figma, Adobe XD (we use Figma, FWIW).
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience.
We're a 100% remote team, but you need to be in a mainland US time zone.
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.