Software Engineer - Python
You’ve wrapped your arms around a few programming languages, OO programming in general, and Python in particular. You’ve probably developed some preferences and, let’s be real, you’re a little giddy about the power of creation at your fingertips. You love to build new things, to have the freedom to solve interesting problems, and especially love when there are capable, experienced engineers to learn from and grow together.
On the security technology side, you've likely had experience with a few firewalls, maybe even an EDR or SIEM solution. You're inspired to experiment with the data they produce, and are passionate about learning more about how these products work and what capable investigators can do with the products.
How'd you like an opportunity to bring those two bodies of knowledge together? The Device Integrations team is responsible for building and monitoring the software that interfaces with our customers' wide-array of security devices. We're pretty sure you'll get a kick out of having a direct influence on the business while working with a highly engaged engineering team using modern tools on current infrastructure. If this sounds like the kind of impact you'd like to have, we'd love to hear from you.
What Expel can do for you
- Increase your knowledge of the information security space
- Develop a depth of experience in a whole slew of security products
- Get experience with cloud-based infrastructure, continuous integration, Kubernetes, and Docker
- Experience a small, highly transparent startup environment
What You Can Do For Expel
- Build new security device integrations so we meet the technology integration needs of our customers before they're even customers
- Improve our existing integrations so they surface the information our analysts need to make decisions as quickly as possible
- Enthusiastically reinforce our belief in good software engineering discipline including code reviews and unit testing
- Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life
- Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways
What You Should Bring With You
- A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with others
- Experience developing software in Linux environments
- Proficiency with Python and basic data structures
- Knowledge of software testing and test frameworks
- Some professional dev experience or credible panache
How We Run This Team
We build and run teams where everyone is pulling in the same direction and is learning from each other:
- We work out of a shared backlog
- We peer-review everything
- We pair-program when it makes sense
- We do weekly blame-free retros to reinforce what’s going well, so we do more of it, and surface what’s not, so we can do something about it
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia. Our team is split roughly evenly between in-office and remote members, for this role, we would expect the employee to be present in office a few days a week.
We’re an Equal Opportunity Employer: You’ll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States.
Back to top