Site Reliability Engineer
The thought of a fully immutable infrastructure gives you goosebumps. And the only thing that excites you more than passing around pointers in Golang is shipping that code across a highly available Kubernetes cluster. You live for streamlining engineering processes and are always looking for ways to increase the organization's impact on the business. Let there be no question that you implement the DevOps interface - and you've got the HashiCorp tattoo to prove it. Ok, maybe we draw the line at the tattoo, but your Terraform game is on-point and you can speak articulately about a wide variety of infrastructure-as-code tools.
You have cloud chops with significant experience deploying applications using your expertise in configuration management. You’re sporting a wide breadth of understanding in cloud service offerings and you get serious kicks out of using that knowledge to provide engineers insightful consultation on what data service backend they should consider for their new service (and the best way to wire it up).
Driving impactful change comes naturally to you, but you're also eager to help others. You thrive when operating in a support or consulting capacity.
Here on the team at Expel, we’re building a core platform that enables service owners to self-service all of their own infrastructure and monitoring needs. Does that idea whet your appetite? If so, we should chat.
What Expel Can Do For You
- Give you exposure to the information security space and security products
- Provide experience in making build-versus-buy decisions for infrastructure services
- Work on a highly capable team that learns from one another
What You Can Do For Expel
- Play your part in the building and running of our current and future infrastructure
- Ensure our security analysts are operating on a strong tech foundation
- Support and help evolve a common platform that enables engineers to self-service and move quickly
- Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways
What You Should Bring With You
- A love of learning and improving your work products
- Experience running systems in AWS or GCP
- Proficiency in software development in Linux environments, preferably with Python and/or Go
- Significant monitoring experience
- Configuration management experience (ansible, puppet, chef, etc.)
- The ability to communicate and work effectively on a team
- A real passion for container technology (Kubernetes experience is a plus)
- Experience with software deployment on enterprise Linux distributions (e.g., CentOS, Ubuntu)
- Systems experience either in operations or development
How We Run This Team
We build and run teams where everyone is pulling in the same direction and is learning from each other:
- We work out of a shared backlog
- We peer-review everything
- We pair-program when it makes sense
- We do weekly blame-free retros to reinforce what’s going well, so we do more of it, and surface what’s not going well, so we can do something about it. Same thing for projects and significant operational problems.
Our headquarters is in Herndon, Virginia. The team is split roughly evenly between in-office and remote members, and we have full support for remote interaction. We realize that while there is a benefit to in-person interaction, good people don’t all live in Northern Virginia.
We're only hiring those authorized to work in the United States.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
Back to top