Senior Software Engineer (Customer Value)
- Herndon, VA
You enjoy writing code. More importantly, you’re always thinking, what problem does this solve? Who will be using this piece of software and how will this make their life easier? You like to dive into the end users’ workflows to make them as seamless as possible. Because it’s not just about the code, it’s about the results.
You love to build rock solid APIs, and you love doing it with talented people that you can help develop and learn from. You are constantly identifying areas of improvement, whether its architecture, implementation, or maintenance. You’ve found that having a robust, automated test suite frees the team to take on refactoring efforts with confidence, knowing that the system you’ve built won’t let you deploy broken software even if you try.
Through the extensive web applications and services this team develops and runs, we help our customer effectively deal with the complexity that is security operations and at the same time provide the capabilities to help our customers recognize the value in our product and services.
Does this whet your appetite? If this sounds like you, then we believe you'll love our team, and we’d love to talk to you!
What Expel Can Do For You
- Give you challenging, real world problems on which to use your skills and experience
- Develop your expertise in current technologies such as Ember, NodeJS, Go, Kubernetes, Elasticsearch
- Increase your exposure to the information security space and security products
- Experience a growing, highly open startup environment
What You Can Do For Expel
- Expand the core security operations platform our customers and analysts rely on 24 x 7
- Develop web services for our customers to help them recognize the value in our product
- Reinforce our belief in good software engineering discipline including code reviews and automated testing
- Add your viewpoint to our engineering culture
- Adapt to changes of direction because, hey, startup life!
- Poke fun at our leadership team in creative ways
What You Should Bring With You
- A desire and ability to constantly learn and improve yourself and your work products
- The ability to communicate and work effectively with multi- discipline team members.
- Proficient in a wide array of web technologies and services (e.g. Node.js, REST, JSON)
- Proficient with relational databases and database architectures
- Experience in infrastructure-as-a-service (Cloud) environments (e.g. GCP, AWS)
- Exposure to Google Analytics, Elasticsearch, and Redis
- A bachelor’s degree strongly preferred
- 5+ years of web service development experience
How We Run This Team
We build and run teams where everyone is pulling in the same direction and is learning from each other:
- We work out of a shared backlog
- We peer-review everything
- We pair-program when it makes sense
- We do weekly blame-free retros to reinforce what’s going well, so we do more of it, and surface what’s not, so we can do something about it.
At Expel, our employee benefits reflect our commitment to our crew. Unlimited PTO, equity for everyone, work location flexibility, up to 24 weeks of parental leave, and excellent health benefits are some of the ways we care for our Expletives.
Our offices are located in Herndon, VA. However, we're open to 100% remote.
We’re only hiring those authorized to work in the United States. We do not currently sponsor immigration visas.
We're an Equal Opportunity Employer: You'll receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.
We’ll ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please let us know if you need accommodation of any kind.
Back to top