Principal IT Oracle Cloud Architect
- Baltimore, MD
At Exelon, we've got a place for you!
Join the nation's leading competitive energy provider, with one of the largest electricity generation portfolios and retail customer bases in the country. You will be part of a family of companies that strives for the highest standards of power generation, competitive energy sales, and energy delivery. Our team of outstanding professionals is focused on performance, thought leadership, innovation, and the power of ideas that come from a diverse and inclusive workforce.
Exelon will provide you the tools and resources you need to design, build and enhance a successful career. We are also dedicated to motivating the success of our employees through competitive base salary, incentives, and health and retirement benefits.
Join Exelon and share your passion at a forward-thinking Fortune 100 company. Establish yourself in a place where you can truly shine and create a brighter, more sustainable tomorrow. Energize your career at Exelon!
PRIMARY PURPOSE OF POSITION
The Principal IT Cloud Architect is responsible for providingsenior strategy, architecture and technical leadership coupled with strongbusiness acumen to provide a portfolio of technologies that serves as afoundation for IT business applications, services and solutions. Principal architects must have a broad baseof technical and business understanding and be "system level" thinkers with a deepunderstanding of the "big picture" as well as the attention to detail and the abilityto transform a strategy into an actionable plan. The successful Principal IT Cloud Architectwill maintain a strong knowledge of the core Exelon businesses and ITorganization, along with strong acumen in relevant industry and technologytrends.
Exelon's IT hosting strategy is focused on a multi-cloud,hybrid cloud and a cloud-first approach. In addition to deep Azure service consumption, Exelon is expanding intoOracle Cloud Infrastructure (OCI). Knowledge of OCI foundational architecture constructs like identity andaccess management, virtual cloud networking, and logical compartments isessential. Experience designing, building,deploying and managing workloads in OCI will also be critical to the success ofthis role.
The primary purpose of this role is to set and drive theinfrastructure technology platform strategy and architecture to successfullydeliver direct and indirect business applications, services, andsolutions. Through keeping an eye onindustry trends and innovations, knowledge of the business, IT and therequirements of the requested applications, services and solutions, the rolewill provide senior technical leadership to ensure the technology platform(s)meet or exceed key requirements including but not limited to technicalfeatures/benefits/value, usability, maintainability, scalability/extensibility, performance,availability/reliability, manageability, security and appropriate financialcost profiles.
To be successful in this role, The Principal IT CloudArchitect will drive strong cross-functional collaboration with a wide body ofpeople and teams. This includes Businessand IT leadership, application portfolio owners, peer infrastructurearchitects, solution architects, enterprise architects, relevant IT engineeringand operations teams and consulting partners, among many others. This role must be proactive, open-minded, havea curious mind and a questioning attitude to drive continuous improvement. A working knowledge of the Energy andUtilities business and related technology trends is preferred. The Cloud Architect will possess a strongability to anticipate needs and challenges, be action-oriented andself-directed driven by the goal of successful business outcomes of PlatformArchitecture processes on behalf of the business and peer IT teams. Strong written, verbal and interpersonalskills are required. Deep experiencedelivering critical strategic direction and design artifacts and being able topresent these deliverables and influence others at all levels of theorganization in support of a board-sponsored program is required.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Work with IT and business teams to identifytechnology solutions and strategies to achieve business results. Ensure appropriate implementation oftechnology from the development up to the production environments.
- Drive our cloud-first strategy, engagingsolution architects effectively to deliver on large projects at scale whileadhering to standards.
- Perform engineering and design functions forsoftware applications and infrastructure in support of the corporate-widestrategic information technology plan; oversee the introduction of newtechnology into the engineering and operations environment by utilizingExelon's standard governance process.
- Provide technological expertise and advice toIT leadership in the development of strategic information technology plans tosupport business strategies leveraging cloud-based services.
- Establish, maintain and enhance relationshipswith business and IT partners. Communicate status to key stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Maintain awareness of trends and issues inarea of technical expertise; evaluate new technologies or technologyopportunities and provide analysis of their potential impact to enable thebusiness.
- Provide strategic leadership thinking, solutions and domain/technical/vendorroadmaps while driving architectural guidance for the assigned technologydomain(s).
- Identify and translate system requirements intoprescribed architecture and design that meets business requirements and arealigned to Exelon architecture standards and principles. Work with project teams to ensure that these designsare properly executed/implemented, leveraging industry standards as applicable.
- Ensure architecture adherence through blueprint anddesign reviews and by conducting reviews thought the development cycle as welldocumenting current state and future state for platform strategy.
- Collaborating with other architects on infrastructureconfiguration and strategy.
- Expert innovator with a deep curiosity for new technologyand the ability to think beyond established standards and processes.
- Adopt and communicate new concepts, ideas,techniques, best practices and technology assistance.
- Function as a technical expert and work effectivelyacross all levels of the organization to ensure that industry expertise isleveraged.
- Responsible to participate and provide thoughtleadership into the RFP and budget planning processes to ensure that strategiesare actionable.
- Working knowledge and active participation in theArchitecture Engagement, Technical Review and Architecture Review Board processes,methodology and governance model.
- Ability to look at the big picture, recommendinnovative approaches and tackle new ideas
- Excellent mediation, collaboration, facilitation,conflict resolution and influencing skills
- A proactive, self-starter and life-long learnertraits
- Experience with educating and obtaining requirementsand needs from key business partners
- Experience evaluating technology and enterprisesystem options and mapping technical solutions to strategic business goals
- Excellent written/verbal/interpersonal communicationskills
- Change agent for positive changes and innovationimprovements
- Maintain deep knowledge of technology and itsapplication across Exelon
- Promote knowledge and learning throughtechnology leadership within applicable domain(s) by authoring and deliveringseminars, presentations andpublications within IT and Exelon
- Contribute technological innovation to drivenew business opportunities and solvecomplex business problems
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science,Information Systems, or related technical discipline plus experience
- 10-15 years in proven, diverse experience inIT, with a focus in recent years in cloud technologies
- In addition to a diverse IT background, expertlevel skills in one or more of the following disciplines: Unified Communications& Networking, Enterprise Messaging & Directory Services, Web &Collaboration, UnixLinux Server technologies, x86 Compute &Virtualization, Enterprise Storage, Database Technologies, Desktops, andApplication Integration & Middleware
- Graduate level degree in a technicaldiscipline preferred
- Direct experience with strategy andarchitecture preferred
- Comprehensive understanding of changemanagement techniques associated with new technology implementation
- Experience developing financial business cases
- Strong demonstrated leadership presence and ability
- Strong judgment, excellent analytical abilityand consulting skills
- Excellent communications skills and ability towork effectively with all levels of IT and business management and with vendors
- Operateindependently and set strategy and priorities within assigned domain(s) withlittle to no supervision
Exelon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and employees or applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: age, color, disability, gender, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or any other classification protected by federal, state, or local law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
EEO is the Law Poster
Back to top