Vice President, Medical Affairs
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Vice President, Medical Affairs will be a key member of Exact Sciences’ management team. The successful candidate will develop and implement strategies in medical affairs that affirm Exact Sciences’ credibility in the medical community and position the company as a leading-edge organization in the molecular diagnostics arena.
The VP, Medical Affairs will serve as the champion for the medical utility of Exact Sciences’ molecular diagnostics products. S/he will interface externally as the lead liaison with the medical community. In partnership with the CMO and the President, s/he will be responsible for (a) bolstering the company’s medical science relationships with key opinion leaders and medical groups/associations, (b) developing thoughtful market intelligence and a strategic viewpoint on the cancer diagnostics space, (c) executing on a thought-leadership medical communication and publication strategy and plan, and (d) designing robust medical affairs strategies. S/he will also serve as a key clinical spokesperson for the company with external stakeholders, delivering medical presentations, as needed, internally and externally.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop state-of-the-art intelligence and point of view on cancer diagnostics for maximizing the clinical applications of Exact Sciences’ products
- Lead the corporate communication interface to healthcare professionals and medical associations for dissemination of medical and scientific information about Exact Sciences
- Support the strategy for Exact Sciences to be recognized in medical policy guidelines at the national level
- Provide clinical and scientific expertise and input in communicating both internally and with patients, physicians, payers and regulatory agencies
- Develop strategies for the medical affairs function to support the corporate objectives; support the build of medical affairs team(s) to enable successful medical affairs linkages with product launch and growth strategies
- Drive a robust publication strategy, which may include tradeshow abstracts, investigator-initiated research and peer-reviewed journal submissions, etc.
- Lead the development of medical education and medical liaising strategies. Attend medical and scientific conferences to support sponsored speakers and presenters, ensure success of publication/communication goals
- Bolster and further cultivate relationships with the leading KOLs, principal investigators, and key medical groups/associations
- Directly support reimbursement/payor coverage strategy to secure positive coverage and contracts through active engagement with commercial and government payors
- Partner with Marketing to develop the Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) strategy and initiatives
- Stay abreast of new developments in clinical paradigms, treatment guidelines, peer-reviewed publications and trends in therapeutic areas of focus for Exact Sciences and serve as a vital internal medical resource for communicating key new development in relevant therapeutic areas of interest and/or development of medical strategies aligned with the evolving marketplace
- The successful candidate will have an M.D. or MD/Ph.D.
- 10 years of related experience
- Specialization in molecular diagnostics is ideal
- Thorough understanding of the rigor associated with the FDA regulatory process, clinical trials, peer reviews, medical policy guidelines is a must
- Prior medical affairs leadership role and responsibilities for a commercial organization is preferred
- Track record of engaging a wide range of stakeholders and cultures
- Strong written and verbal communication skills with ability to convey concepts to a variety of healthcare professional audiences, e.g. physicians, healthcare payor or provider business executives
- Exceptional executive presence, leadership qualities and outstanding personal initiative
- Ability to travel to medical conferences and speaking engagements
- Ability to work in an office setting, operate a telephone system, and a computer
- Ability to travel via automobile, airplane or other mode of commuter transportation approximately 50% of the time
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top