Sr Medical Science Liaison III
- San Francisco, CA
Summary of Major Responsibilities
This position will act as a Medical/Clinical Educational Liaison to key departments within Exact Sciences and as a member of the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) group within the Precision Oncology business unit.
This position will engage with customers and colleagues in our commercial and medical organization to provide medical and scientific support for the Paradigm PCDx next-generation sequencing (NGS) comprehensive genomic profiling test for patients with advanced, refractory, or recurrent cancer (paradigmdx.com), with a focus on lung cancer as well as other solid tumor types.
This position is field based.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide clinical support in response to inquiries from medical oncologists, surgeons, and pathologists in guiding appropriate PCDx test ordering and interpreting NGS and/or Immunohistochemistry (IHC) test results on specific patient cases.
- Support medical-marketing planning, including conference planning and support, medical education content development, faculty speaker training, sales training, reimbursement initiatives, and review of promotional and educational materials, as needed, within the lung cancer and other solid tumor space and on NGS in general.
- Participate in the development and execution of a key opinion leader (KOL) outreach plan for lung cancer and other solid tumors, in which the PCDx test may have clinical utility, including supporting meetings with KOL’s.
- Work with Medical Directors to take complex medical messages and position them to enable clear and concise understanding by both external audiences and partners within Exact Sciences.
- Assist with development of content and execution of clinically oriented education and training, including sales training programs, journal clubs, ad hoc literature reviews, and other training venues for new sales hires, new Medical Science Liaisons (MSLs), and others, as needed, in cooperation with Medical Affairs Directors, in the areas of lung cancer and other solid tumor types, as needed, including, but not limited to, melanoma, gastrointestinal cancers, urologic, or gynecologic cancers.
- Stay abreast of new clinical developments, papers, and trends be a conduit for the greater medical team and other internal teams for review of these developments.
- Be available to field sales teams as a phone and/or speaker resource, as needed.
- Assist with setting up and delivering Advisory Boards, Speaker Trainings, and External Payor Reviews, as needed.
- Support preparation of medical review slides and materials at national sales meetings, pre-conference meetings, field sales conference calls, etc.
- Attend key medical/scientific congresses and cooperative group meetings in the lung cancer and other solid tumor spaces; develop summaries of these conferences for presentation to internal medical and marketing teams.
- Listen for and interpret new clinical data from conferences and literature, as well as competitive intelligence, and report back on findings to medical affairs and marketing stakeholders.
- Ensure the MSL skillfully learns and is able to explain medically related product concepts and complexities regarding lung cancer, other solid tumor types, and NGS to our sales and marketing environment.
- Ensure the MSL may be relied upon to troubleshoot field-based medical issues, interfacing, as needed, with commercial, medical, scientific, or customer service personnel in the corporate office to assist providers in determining appropriate use of the PCDx test and interpretation of results.
- Ensure the MSL strives for excellence in all aspects of performance and is committed to continuous self-evaluation and development.
- Keep all parties informed of activities as they impact select departments.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Strong analytical skills and familiarity with medical messaging.
- Strong communicator with an ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers, and customers.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Considerable amount of work performed within a home office.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 60% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 40% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 50% of a typical working day.
- Use of computer, and or telephone for long periods of time may be necessary.
- Ability to travel 70% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- PhD in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline and 8+ years related experience; or Master’s degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline and 11+ years related experience; or Bachelor’s degree in a relevant scientific or engineering discipline and 15+ years related experience.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully communicate and teach in a complex and competitive environment.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Doctoral-level degree.
- Clinical experience and expertise in advanced solid tumors along with clinical experience in working with NGS-based diagnostic gene panels.
- Experience in delivering clinical presentations to oncologists.
- Background in oncology diagnostics including tumor board support.
- Experience providing medical affairs support in a field setting.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and establish and maintain relationships with key thought leaders.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top