Specimen Processing Supervisor
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Specimen Processing Supervisor performs the functions of their position under the guided direction of the Senior Director, Clinical Laboratory Operations or designee. The Specimen Processing Supervisor will follow all laboratory policies and procedures and maintain accurate data reporting practices to ensure consistent and diligent execution of specimen processing. In this leadership position the Specimen Processing Supervisor supports the mission and vision of Exact Sciences Laboratories and along with the Senior Director, Clinical Laboratory Operations shares the responsibility of ensuring the Specimen Processing department operates effectively.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- All assigned job duties are performed following laboratory policies and procedures.
- Oversees the training and competency process for the laboratory. In addition, assists in the creation of department specific training materials and identifies additional training needs/resources and provides training as needed.
- Responsible for the work quantity and quality of the Specimen Processing department.
- Assigns and organizes work priorities by effectively directing workflow and managing available resources.
- Manages and maintains department schedule to ensure appropriate staffing levels at all times across all shifts.
- Works closely with the Senior Director, Clinical Laboratory Operations to develop and manage the department budget.
- Works with management to develop department goals which align with organizational priorities and goals.
- Heads department projects and initiatives including but not limited to quality improvement, process Improvement, safety audits, document development, review and implementation, and department inspections and audits.
- Ability to perform all essential responsibilities of the Specimen Processing Lead position and does so as needed.
- Responsible for completion of quarterly employee journey meetings and annual performance appraisals for all Specimen Processing Department staff.
- As needed, in accordance with Exact Sciences Laboratories policy, prepares and conducts employee counseling.
- Acts as a primary mentor for the Specimen Processing Lead Position and example for all members of the Exact Sciences Laboratories Specimen Processing Department.
- Attends regularly scheduled and as needed meetings as Specimen Processing representative.
- Assists in the laboratory as needed.
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to effectively manage and motivate staff members at all levels.
- Ability to accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to Quality Assurance Procedures.
- Strong organizational skills.
- General knowledge of CAP, GLP, GDP, CLIA, New York and HIPAA.
Necessary Education & Experience:
- Minimum of two years of college course work, Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3 or more years of relevant experience in a laboratory setting.
- Minimum 1-year experience leading people
- Must be 18 years of age or older and must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Excellent verbal and nonverbal communication and listening skills.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams to develop, adapt, and evolve the Specimen Processing Department to meet the increasing workload.
- Ability to empower fellow team members and delegate authority when necessary.
- Possess a positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and build solid working relationships with peers at all levels of the organization.
- Manage change efficiently as it happens.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail and focus on quality output.
- Professionalism: conducts themselves in a professional manner in all interactions with members of the Exact Sciences Clinical Laboratory team, clients and associates.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift and move 20-40 pounds on an occasional basis (up to 25% of time).
- Ability to stand, walk, bend and reach on a regular basis (standing ~25% of time; sitting ~75% of time).
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Position requires work in normal laboratory environment. Personal protective equipment is required while working in the laboratory.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. The Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at Exact Sciences, or if you may require a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call our Recruitment Coordinator at 608-535-8841 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Senior Manager, Accounting
As Senior Manager of Accounting for Exact Science’s Finance Team, Ashley’s main responsibilities are external financial reporting, maintaining a sound internal control structure, and administering the company’s stock plans.
Back to top