Specimen Processing Specialist - Friday - Monday, 2:30pm - 1:00am shift
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Specimen Processing Specialist performs the functions of the specimen processing associate under the guided direction of the Non-Technical Supervisor, Specimen Processing Lead or designee. The Specimen Processing Specialist provides support to both Specimen Processing Laboratory and the Clinical Laboratory. The Specimen Processing Specialist will follow all laboratory procedures and policies and maintain accurate data reporting practices as needed to ensure consistent and diligent execution of specimen processing, testing and the timely generation of patient results.
The hours for this position are Friday - Monday from 2:30pm - 1:00am.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Reports to work on time, and follows attendance guidelines.
- Conducts all assigned job duties in a timely and productive manner.
- Performs all job duties according to laboratory policies and procedures.
- Follows proper specimen identification procedures in the execution of all job duties.
- Processes laboratory specimens with emphasis on accuracy, timeliness, completeness and compliance.
- Handles and disposes of all specimen following standard precautions and applicable safety policies.
- Responsible for the timely investigation and resolution of specimen issue(s) or test issue(s) for the Exact Sciences Clinical Laboratory Specimen Processing Department to ensure timely and accurate reporting of results.
- Maintains accurate records of problems and problem resolution related to specimen processing, specimen storage, specimen testing, inventory and equipment.
- Assists the Lead and Supervisor with projects as needed.
- Ability to perform all essential responsibilities of the Specimen Processing Associate position and performs them as directed.
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 6 months.
- Other duties as assigned.
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to type 35/wpm.
- Demonstrated understanding of laboratory terminology and equipment.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff through both verbal and written communications.
Necessary Education & Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Previous experience in a laboratory setting required.
- Disciplined, self-motivated & reliable; able to stay focused on a task and work independently; motivated to perform quality work; diligent about arriving to work on time and completing tasks that are assigned in a timely manner.
- Possess a positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and build strong working relationships with peers at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to changing workload and circumstances effectively; able to respond to new information quickly.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail and focus on quality output.
- Professionalism: conducts themselves in a professional manner in all interactions with members of the Exact Sciences Clinical Laboratory team, clients and associates.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift and move 20-40 pounds on an occasional basis (up to 25% of time).
- Ability to stand, walk, bend and reach on a regular basis (standing ~50% of time; sitting ~50% of time).
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Position requires work in normal laboratory environment. Personal protective equipment is required while working in the laboratory.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Customer Care Specialist
Marco assists customers with Cologuard and guides patients through the process of using the product.
Back to top