Specimen Processing Lead- 3rd shift
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Specimen Processing Lead performs the functions of Specimen Processor under the guided direction of the Non-Technical Manager or designee. The Specimen Processing Lead will follow all laboratory policies and procedures and maintain accurate data reporting practices to ensure consistent and diligent execution of specimen processing. In this leadership position the Specimen Processing Lead supports the Specimen Processing Supervisor or designee and shares the responsibility of ensuring the Specimen Processing department operates effectively.
This position is 3rd shift, 8:00pm - 6:30am, Tuesday - Friday.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- All assigned job duties are performed following laboratory policies and procedures.
- Ensures prompt, accurate and timely processing and delivery of all patient specimens.
- Handles and disposes of all specimen following universal precautions and applicable safety policies.
- Maintains accurate records of problems and problem resolution related to specimen processing, inventory and equipment.
- Assigns and organizes work priorities within the department utilizing support of Specimen Processing Associate, Specimen Processing Technician I and II and Exception Handling Representative I and II.
- Assures the work quantity and quality of the Specimen Processing department by effectively directing workflow and managing available resources.
- Takes part in department projects and initiatives including but not limited to quality improvement teams (QIT), and quality improvement investigations such as root cause analysis (RCA), standard operating procedure (SOP) development, department inspections and audits.
- Takes a leading role in the Exact Sciences Clinical Laboratory Employee Recognition Initiative.
- Ability to perform all essential responsibilities of the Specimen Processing Associate, Specimen Processing Technician I and II and Exception Handling Representative I and II positions and performs them as directed.
- Meets standards for production and accuracy within 6 months of in shift date.
- Other duties as assigned.
Mandatory Skills & Qualifications:
- Ability to effectively prioritize and delegate tasks.
- Ability to accurately follow written and verbal instructions.
- Ability to type 35/wpm.
- Demonstrated understanding of laboratory terminology and equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to Quality Assurance Procedures.
- Ability to focus on detail and perform repetitive tasks.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff through both verbal and written communications.
Necessary Education & Experience:
- High school diploma or GED with some college course work required.
- Must be 18 years of age or older and must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- 3 or more years of experience working in a laboratory setting.
- Disciplined, self-motivated & reliable: able to stay focused on a task and work independently without needing constant supervision; motivated to perform quality work; diligent about arriving to work on time and completing tasks that are assigned in a timely manner.
- Possess a positive attitude with excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and build solid working relationships with peers at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to work in a team environment and adapt to changing workload and circumstances effectively; able to respond to new information quickly.
- Demonstrated strong attention to detail and focus on quality output.
- Demonstrated experience leading and motivating others, even when not in a position of authority.
- Professionalism: conducts themselves in a professional manner in all interactions with members of the Exact Sciences Clinical Laboratory team, clients and associates.
Physical Requirements & Working Conditions:
- Ability to lift and move 20-40 pounds on an occasional basis (up to 25% of time).
- Ability to stand, walk, bend and reach on a regular basis (standing ~25% of time; sitting ~75% of time).
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Position requires work in normal laboratory environment. Personal protective equipment is required while working in the laboratory.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. The Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
If you need any assistance seeking a job opportunity at Exact Sciences, or if you may require a reasonable accommodation with the application process, please call our Recruitment Coordinator at 608-535-8841 or email [email protected].
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Senior Manager, Accounting
As Senior Manager of Accounting for Exact Science’s Finance Team, Ashley’s main responsibilities are external financial reporting, maintaining a sound internal control structure, and administering the company’s stock plans.
Back to top