Senior Vice President, Pipeline
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Vice President, Pipeline will have the opportunity and ability to develop and introduce high visibility, cutting edge technologies for the company, and to help build the strategy to deliver them to market successfully. This position will lead the development and execution of Exact Sciences’ new product initiatives through market research, clinical development, regulatory strategy and pre-launch commercial strategy (market access, marketing, medical affairs, etc.). The Exact Sciences product pipeline may be made up of new product opportunities developed in-house or acquired, developed/licensed through business development transactions or strategic partnerships. S/he will be responsible for building employee commitment to the organization’s overall strategic direction through effective leadership and driving productivity and efficacy through cross-functional teams made up of partners in areas of the business such as Research & Development, Business Development, Marketing, Market Access, Medical Affairs and Clinical/Regulatory Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Senior Vice President, Pipeline will achieve, and ideally exceed, pipeline priorities each year which will include aggressive targets, rewarding team leadership opportunities and exciting milestones for the Company.
Tasked with developing the company’s novel platform through clinical development, regulatory approval and pre-commercial launch, the Senior Vice President, Pipeline will provide the vision and roadmap for new product strategy’s growth and development. S/he will be responsible for devising a winning strategic plan based on strong analytics and will implement the processes and metrics to ensure and measure success.
Additional responsibilities include
- Develop long- and short-term strategic plans, providing management direction and tactical plans to progress the company’s new products through development, regulatory approval and pre-launch commercial activities.
- Charter market research and product assessment analyses and build comprehensive business cases for pipeline prioritization, product development and commercialization plans.
- Partner strategically with business development to evaluate technology or operational opportunities to enhance product pipeline. Provide due diligence efforts and resources to ensure thorough evaluation and successful integration.
- Champion the clinical-evidence development strategy for pipeline products and oversee clinical trial design and execution.
- Cultivate a culture that challenges and empowers employees to innovate and drive progress on key pipeline programs. Implement a structure and management process that emphasizes team work, performance and a consistent sense of urgency at all levels.
- Lead (directly & indirectly through projects), develop and retain a high-performance team focused on platform development, new product opportunities and market expansion.
- Build and conduct ongoing strategic reviews of the Pipeline Team’s processes and make the necessary changes to ensure the best use of resources (financial resources, processes and people). This will include an emphasis the company’s product development & launch efficiency.
- Assess the evaluation of commercial and developmental initiatives that will eventually lead to new product launches or improvements to marketing or operational methods.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience/Education)
- Bachelor’s Degree in life sciences or business required; Advanced degree preferred (PhD, MBA, MS, etc.).
- Must possess business and technical knowledge/awareness of the screening, diagnostics and life sciences landscape. Technical/ scientific background in molecular biology is a plus.
- Minimum of fifteen (15) years of progressively responsible experience in business leadership roles within global diagnostics, life sciences or medical device companies.
- Demonstrated experience influencing or directly leading clinical trial and clinical evidence development strategies.
- Preferred experience in business development leadership and/or new product development leadership.
- Prior leadership experience within an in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) product development organization, with a clear understanding of both product development process and regulatory approvals and guidelines for IVD product registration is preferred.
- Proven ability to select talent, motivate and engage a high-performance organization. Strong ability to coach and direct employee development and engagement.
- Global experience preferred.
Desired Personal Characteristics
- Highly collaborative team player with demonstrated ability to participate in and lead cross-functional technical teams and to achieve results through cooperation with other functions and project teams.
- Proven ability to execute and deliver on business objectives.
- Skilled and effective communicator, with the ability to engage and inspire a highly diverse organization and hold his/her team accountable for results.
- High energy, inspirational leadership skills with exceptional communication and team building ability.
- Adept at managing decisions through fact based/data driven metrics.
- Strongly customer focused, leading through example "in the field" in front of customers.
- Highly ethical with unquestioned character, and absolute integrity.
- Driven to make an important business contribution, understanding that the timely achievement of new product pipeline goals is key to his/her success.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top