Senior Software Engineer
- Madison, WI
Summary of Major Responsibilities
Senior Software Engineer (SSE) will work with Exact Sciences business unit leaders to direct the design and development of software solutions that the enable business. As the senior member of the software engineering team, this person will be responsible for mentoring junior colleagues including providing training and conducting performance reviews. The SSE will assign work and manage groups in an agile, collaborative, and supportive environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Review all the software systems in the company.
- Participate in maintenance of and training of team members in Quality Management System.
- Ensure delivery of highest quality software projects on time and on budget.
- Develop, train, lead and delegate to a team of junior engineers (may be formal or informal reporting relationship).
- Conceptualize new software for Exact Sciences with an eye on future needs.
- Maintain confidentiality and software compliance standards including system security and data assurance.
- Create flowcharts, diagrams, and other documentation as needed to capture system requirements and communicate system functionality.
- Coordinate the construction and maintenance of computer systems.
- Coordinate department needs and make suggestions regarding its technical direction.
- Design R&D prototyping.
- Work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- Demonstrated professional written and verbal communication skills.
- Working knowledge of statistical analysis, including data reduction.
- Supervise staff including but not limited to organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to lift up to 10 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to travel approximately 5% of working time.
- Ability to work in an office setting, operate telephony devices, and a computer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Sciences; or High School Degree/General Education Diploma (GED) and 4 years software engineering experience in lieu of Bachelor’s degree.
- 5+ years of software engineering experience with senior-level design capabilities using modern technologies.
- Ability to develop software in Java, Ruby on Rails, C++ or other programming languages.
- Excellent knowledge of relational databases, SQL and ORM technologies (JPA2, Hibernate).
- Experience developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC).
- Experience with test-driven development.
- Proficiency in software engineering tools.
- Ability to document requirements and specifications.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Experience in molecular biology, genomics, translational science, and personalized medicine.
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues or leading productive teams.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top