Senior Manager, Public Affairs
Summary of Major Responsibilities
Exact Sciences is seeking a public affairs communicator who is passionate about building external alliances and communicating with a cross-section of stakeholders. As a key member of the Corporate Affairs team, this individual will play a pivotal role in advancing our mission of eradicating the deadliest forms of cancer through early detection. S/he will bring a record of success building advocacy coalitions, guiding consistent and clear messages, and managing public affairs campaigns to deliver measurable results.
This role will work collaboratively across multiple functions – including the Medical Affairs, Marketing and Research and Development teams – to create clarity among key stakeholders about the importance of detecting cancer earlier. This is a highly-visible, fast-paced position; the manager must be able to think strategically and clearly communicate plans to internal and external partners.
S/he is an organized, detail-oriented self-starter with strong writing skills and experience in public affairs, advocacy, political engagement, or policy initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Expand awareness for the importance of detecting cancer earlier among traditional and non-traditional advocates. Understanding the public health landscape to engage key stakeholders – both national, regional and local – to build advocacy coalitions.
- Support scientific research and study publications. Ability to work with multiple internal teams to understand complex policy and scientific research to harmonize messaging that reaches key audiences.
- Record of success leading consumer-facing public affairs campaigns. Building coalitions of stakeholders who will support Exact Sciences effort to detect more cancers earlier.
- Demonstrates strong understanding of U.S. public policy environment as it relates to the diagnostic and life sciences industries and brings the external communications skills to ensure effective engagement with stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s degree in political science, communications, journalist, life sciences or a related field
- A minimum of 8 years of relevant public affairs experience and proven track record of success in developing and executing campaigns
- Strong business acumen with the ability to anticipate company and team needs, including strong understanding of U.S. healthcare system functioning and intricacies
- Superb attention to detail, notably through succinct, high-quality writing
- Self-starter with extraordinary external communications skills are required
- Experience in managing external partners and engaging with stakeholders
- Exceptional interpersonal skills and executive-level engagement
- Experience engaging with the healthcare or a highly-regulated industry
- Proficient in a cross-section of computer software applications
- Strong sense of teamwork and collaborative focus that inspires confidence within the organization and with external partners
- Ability to balance the needs of various internal and external parties with flexibility and a steady temperament
- Experience managing multiple overlapping deadlines and workstreams
- Collaborative mindset to ensure that Exact Sciences’ messaging and style guidelines are used consistently across materials
- Experience with working in health care industry, notably with a focus on cancer detection and/or oncology
- Must be willing to travel and be responsive/available after hours and on weekends, as necessary
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Customer Care Specialist
Marco assists customers with Cologuard and guides patients through the process of using the product.
Back to top