Senior Maintenance Technician
- Madison, WI
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Maintenance Technician is responsible for operating, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing facility related mechanical, electrical, instrumentation, refrigeration, control systems, and equipment located within office, R&D, and GMP manufacturing locations. Additionally, this position supports automated fill, cap, and labeling, conveying, and product finishing equipment from set-up, to change-over and supports associated maintenance and troubleshooting as requested.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Communicate facility and safety related issues that arise from daily operations to the Facilities Management to coordinate with internal customers, property owner and/or outside vendors.
- Own the process in managing spare parts for facility utilities and supplies as needed to minimize equipment downtime.
- Oversee the facility and utility systems including but not limited to electrical distribution, plumbing, HVAC, compressed air systems, fire and life safety systems and emergency power.
- Enter, prioritize and complete work orders in the CMMS system. Provide first level review of completed work orders for assigned site.
- Execute building/facility projects (i.e. installation of new systems, commissioning of building systems).
- Execute preventive maintenance and demand maintenance tasks with proper documentation and closure.
- Conduct daily, weekly and monthly building inspections to assess the current operational condition, document findings, and take appropriate follow up action following applicable procedures.
- React to loss of electrical power and other utility outages, as well as assist in restoration efforts following weather related events.
- Respond to critical alarms following proper procedures.
- Follow standard operating procedures (SOP) and EHS requirements.
- Recommend changes to equipment and facility infrastructure to improve safety, performance, and reliability.
- Maintain compliance with all regulatory standards, including but not limited to GMP, OSHA, FDA and USDA.
- Participate and perform in the on-call program for emergency service.
- Provide technical support and expertise for building infrastructure, systems, and controls to maintain efficient and reliable operation, including the completion of accurate and contemporaneous GMP documentation. Oversee documentation of Maintenance Assistant and Technician.
- Provide technical support and expertise for all automated infrastructure equipment as required.
- Support automated fill, cap, and labeling equipment by working with the manufacturing and product finishing groups to conduct periodic maintenance and ensure that equipment is operable at all times.
- Self-perform all monitoring, repair, and maintenance on all electrical, mechanical and plumbing systems and equipment.
- Ensure contractor compliance with EHS polices regarding contractors.
- Implement and improve preventive maintenance procedures.
- Willing to learn and expand tradecraft skills.
- Ability to teach new technologies, systems and equipment to Maintenance Technicians and Assistants.
- Strong documentation skills and attention-to-detail.
- Proven ability for problem solving and trouble shooting.
- Proven ability to work effectively in team situations as well as independently.
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Proven understanding of electrical, plumbing, HVAC, compressed air, and other related facility systems.
- Proven ability to read blueprints, wiring diagrams, equipment manuals and troubleshooting problems to make adjustments and repairs.
- Ability to adapt to a quickly changing work environment with rapidly changing needs and requests.
- Independent self-starter with positive attitude and above average organizational skills.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to lift up to 75 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 25% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 75% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to use hand and power tools, climb ladders, enter tight spaces requiring awkward postures.
- Ability to work on a computer and phone simultaneously.
- Ability to use a telephone through a headset.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to work with hazardous or flammable materials so as not to endanger oneself or others.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison locations.
- Ability to travel 5% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Associate degree in electrical, mechanical maintenance or related field; or high school degree/general education diploma and 2 years of relevant experience in lieu of degree.
- 6+ years of experience working in a building maintenance, construction, or mechanical repair setting.
- 6+ years of experience operating hand tools, small power tools, multi-meters and various test equipment.
- Basic computer skills to include Internet navigation, Email usage, word processing, databases and spreadsheets.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Possession of a valid driver's license, no more than two moving violations in the past 36 months, and no unresolved license revocation or suspension issues.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- College coursework or certification in Maintenance related field.
- 7+ years of experience in equipment maintenance or related field.
- 7+ years of experience working with laboratory equipment in a laboratory type environment.
- 7+ years of experience with automated packaging and process systems and components, including PLC programming (Allen-Bradley).
- 7+ years of experience in regulated environment, e.g., ISO 13485, FDA GMP, or USDA.
- 7+ years of experience in using a computerized maintenance management and building control system.
- EPA Certification for Type 2 and 3 refrigeration systems.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top