Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Mission of the Precision Oncology Business Unit of Exact Sciences is to transform treatment decisions and outcomes in cancer by delivering clinically actionable diagnostics, both as in-vitro diagnostic (IVD) devices and as Laboratory Developed Tests (LDTs) conducted in our Redwood City Clinical Laboratory. The Senior Laboratory Automation Engineer will provide technical expertise to drive continuous improvement of our state-of-the-art diagnostic tests for cancer patients.
The Process Engineering team is a multidisciplinary group of engineers with backgrounds in mechanical, electrical, software, and process engineering. The Senior Laboratory Automation Engineer work will focus on designing, building, and optimizing integrated laboratory automation systems. The process engineering team has direct involvement throughout the lifecycle of our automation development; including design, build, test, launch, and continuous improvement.
The successful candidate will be a key member on project teams developing integrated systems laboratory automation, ensuring their efficient and effective transfer into production, and will also contribute to ongoing improvements of existing commercialized processes and products.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and document new integrated robotic work cells with laboratory automation equipment; including selection and specification of robotic integration, software, motion control, liquid handling, and analytical components.
- Build and test integrated robotic work cells.
- Translate business needs and customer requirements into architecture design and other key Systems Engineering methodologies for new production processes.
- Evaluate and recommend engineering changes to existing devices and equipment in order to improve throughput, reliability, serviceability, and decrease cost.
- Manage documentation, suppliers, and contract manufacturers.
- Participate in or lead cross-functional process development teams to innovate, plan, develop, validate, and implement robust and scalable laboratory automation.
- Advise and present options, recommendations, plans, and status to senior management on projects and associated issues and risks.
- Provide expertise and leadership in Design of Experiments (DOE), failure analysis, and root cause analysis.
- Ability to assist and mentor junior Process Engineering members.
- Ability to perform work with minimal direction, exercising sound judgement in defining technical objectives of assignments.
- Exhibit commitment to quality in the development, testing, and implementation of systems to be used in diagnostic tests.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Considerable periods of time may be spent concentrating and or analyzing data.
- Some lifting (greater than 25 pounds) may be necessary.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements, and high-speed centrifugation.
- Ability and means to travel between Redwood City locations.
- Ability to travel 10% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor's degree Life Science, Scientific, Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical Engineering, Engineering, or a related field.
- 6+ years of experience with integrated systems laboratory automation, industrial system design, or related field.
- 2+ years of experience with liquid handling instrument script writing and scheduler software programming.
- Demonstrated ability with system integration or factory automation in a regulated environment.
- Demonstrated ability in selecting and working with external suppliers and contract manufacturers.
- Demonstrated ability in integrating industrial articulated and SCARA robots.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Master's Degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Biomedical Engineering, or a related field.
- Experience with Python and/or SolidWorks.
- Experience in developing diagnostic test in a highly regulated environment (e.g., CLIA, FDA, ISO13485, etc.).
- Experience in project management.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.