Senior Director, Facilities
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Senior Director, Facilities, leads a team and strategy for facility services and facility maintenance. This role will collaborate closely with multiple Exact Sciences facilities compromised of office, call centers, GMP regulated laboratories, manufacturing, warehouse spaces, research laboratories, CAP/CLIA regulated clinical labs, employee amenities spaces, and external partners to establish Exact Sciences operations with partners in a manner meeting applicable regulatory requirements. This position will be responsible for developing and leading a team of professionals that provide world class service in a fast-paced demanding environment. Relationship management, identifying business, stakeholder, and team expectations and delivering results through quantified performance metrics are critical to success. Similarly, the role is accountable for partnering with physical security, information technology, engineering, real estate planning, EHS, and other support functions to deliver superior service. This position leads and directs complex problem-solving efforts in collaboration with others and will use project leadership skills in managing priorities, delegating, and influencing others. Additional responsibilities may include those associated with sustainability, business continuity, and disaster recovery management.
This position will report to the VP of Operations and will supervise a team comprised of facilities services and facilities maintenance professionals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Plans, directs, and manages the operations and activities of the facilities department including evaluating workload; planning and implementing changes as needed.
- Partners with functional leaders to develop and execute strategic portfolio space plans.
- Serves as a liaison for design, development and procurement of facility-related systems.
- Ensures proper maintenance by facilities team of HVAC units, freezers, refrigerators, electrical and fire system, and other facility related equipment following SOPs and proper documentation of work completed to meet QMS requirements.
- Implements and manages software solutions, such as maintenance management, integrated workplace management, and AutoCAD to maximize benefit to drive efficiencies, report performance metrics, and manage continuous improvement.
- Develops and refines support services to provide robust 24-hour coverage.
- Ensures facility compliance with OSHA, FDA, EPA, CAP, CLIA and other health/safety and environmental related regulations.
- Oversees small renovation construction and repair projects.
- Assists in the planning, response and recovery operations for emergency situations and disaster recovery.
- Maintains validated systems managed by facilities and ensures compliance.
- In conjunction with the EHS function, develops and monitors facility-wide safety programs and procedures.
- Responsible for personnel management activities such as: scheduling, employee relations, training and development, providing regular direction and feedback on performance, and preparing and delivering quarterly performance discussions.
- Leads the development of short and long-range operating objectives, organizational structure, staffing requirements and succession plans. Researches and recommends facilities capital improvements.
- Coordinates vendor-provided routine services and contracted maintenance and construction services.
- Creates and manages annual Facilities Operations and Services budgets, including capital expenditures and staffing and oversees all cost centers associated with facilities working closely with finance.
- Leads the implementation and management of the repair and maintenance program.
- Actively influences and participates in the site leadership team and establishing effective cross-functional leadership relationships and presence.
- Oversees and manages maintenance activities and operational support of Exact Sciences and storage facilities.
- Provides overall guidance and sets policies for providing reliable and efficient building services and support. Responsible for buildings and grounds associated with Exact Sciences.
- Ensures uninterrupted facilities support to Exact Sciences.
- Strong people leadership skills, and prior success in leading by influence.
- Executes and leads the team with a sense of urgency.
- Experience in biotech manufacturing environment preferred, particularly with a GMP and/or ISO13485 environment.
- Ability to course correct when issues arise with strong tactical and clear execution plans.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Excellent organizational and problem-solving skills required.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills including the ability to easily convey concepts and priorities to peers, customers, leadership, and cross-functional teams required.
- Adaptable, flexible, open to change and able to work in ambiguous situations responding to new information and unexpected circumstances in a timely manner.
- Leads initiatives to improve systems, process, procedures to drive quality.
- Ability to deliver financial results for areas of accountability.
- Ability to be flexible, approachable and inspire trust.
- Ability to implement capital projects for office, research laboratory, and GMP facilities.
- Experience in emergency management or business continuity planning contributing to the development, implementation, and maintenance of a complex organizational emergency management system preferred.
- Computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Project, PowerPoint, etc. required.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) in a technical subject or business-related bachelor’s degree.
- Advanced degree strongly preferred.
- 15+ years of industry experience.
- 10+ years of direct leadership experience.
- Experience with OSHA, EPA, FDA (preferred), CAP/CLIA (preferred) regulations required.
- Experiences interfacing with various regulatory agencies and auditors required.
- Experience in biotech industry preferred.
Additional Desired Characteristics
- Experience managing operations in a regulated environment (bio/pharma, industrial, healthcare facilities preferred).
- Experience participating in or managing a sustainability effort including opportunity identification, project prioritization, metric development and reporting, employee engagement, policy development, and practice implementation preferred.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to sit or stand for an extended period of time.
- Ability to travel (by land and air) on occasion.
- Ability to use and wear safety protective gear/equipment (e.g. safety glasses, lab coat, gloves, respirator, etc.) and follow safety guidelines while in the lab, etc.
- Ability to work with hazardous or flammable materials (e.g. chemicals, radioactivity, electrical equipment) so as not to endanger oneself or others.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on occasional basis.
- Constant walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top