Summary of Major Responsibilities
The PostgreSQL DBA/Developer (known internally as the DBA / Database Developer) is responsible for managing and tuning high-availability PostgreSQL databases associated with the Laboratory Information System (LIS) and participate in cross functional project teams developing software involving these databases. This individual will provide proactive preventative maintenance and provide recommendations for improvements and optimizations for current and future designs. This person will assist in developing data migrations, writing SQL and reports and mentoring other engineers in optimizing and writing efficient queries.
This role could be located in Madison, WI or Salt Lake City, UT.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and proactively review the monitoring of production PostgreSQL databases
- Participate in system capacity planning
- Participate in database design, data modeling and provide recommendations for improvement or optimizations
- Provide query / index optimizations
- Participate in an agile software development life cycle including providing testing guidelines for database related changes
- Provide SQL development support and query tuning
- Mentor other engineers in developing efficient SQL queries
- Follow the Quality Management System for developing and deploying software
- Write reports
- Bachelor’s degree in IT-related field or equivalent experience
- 3+ years experience managing a production RDBMS including experience with PostgreSQL
- Experience in SQL development and database design
- Expertise in SQL DML and DDL
- Have a solid understanding of query planning
- Understand PostgreSQL tuning and optimization parameters
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both oral and written English
- Able to collaborate with cross functional team members
- Familiarity with PostgreSQL replication techniques, data warehouse design, and Amazon RDS support beneficial
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top