Manager, Laboratory Service Engineering
- Redwood City, CA
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Manager, Service and Support is responsible for managing the service personnel (Service Team) who service Exact Sciences laboratory equipment and instrumentation. This role oversees all service activities. Service activities under the responsibility of the Service Manager include installation, calibration, maintenance, and repair for laboratory equipment. Instrumentation responsibilities may include both simple (e.g. mixers) and complex laboratory instrumentation (e.g. liquid handling robotics). The Manager, Service and Support will work with the Systems Development team to assure knowledge transfer of instrumentation design and service needs to the Service Team. The Manager, Service and Support will assist in the development of the service policies and procedures (e.g. SOPs) and play principal role in the commissioning of equipment and ongoing service activities, once the policies and procedures are established. The individual in this role will continuously work with the Service Team and the laboratories he/she is servicing to ensure a high-quality service experience for the laboratories he/she is responsible for servicing.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide supervision and leadership to Service Team (e.g., Service Engineers).
- Oversee instrument service activities such as installation and qualification, maintenance, and repair. Ensure all service activities are performed to high quality standards and in accordance with laboratory and service policies and procedures.
- Ensure coordination of the calibration and/or service with 3rd party vendors as appropriate. Ensure proper level of service delivery from all vendors.
- Oversee the escalation of service concerns and coordinate with ES development team or 3rd party vendors, as appropriate, to address the escalated (Level 2 or 3) service concerns.
- Assist in development and writing of policies and procedures for installation, calibration, repair, maintenance, etc. of laboratory equipment. Provide ongoing document support to address changes to service requirements.
- Ensure appropriate training of service staff in accordance with job responsibilities. Ensure training is performed and documented in accordance with Exact Sciences policies and regulatory requirements for training.
- Provide input on appropriate metrics for service and instrument quality monitoring which is consistent with company service strategy (e.g., Mean Time to Failure (MTTF), Mean Time to Repair (MTTR)). Lead the implementation of the quality monitoring program.
- Monitor quality metrics and recommend and/or implement changes to instrumentation and service procedures to ensure ongoing high-quality performance of laboratory equipment.
- Ensure all service activities are performed in compliance with all relevant safety and regulatory bodies (e.g. OSHA, CLIA, FDA).
- Take part in the evaluation of new equipment purchases and ensure the proper commissioning and servicing of new types of equipment.
- Maintain and continuously develop personal knowledge and expertise related to the servicing of complex clinical laboratory equipment.
- Track all service activities utilizing system(s) developed in accordance with service policies and procedures. Ensure all service documentation is complete, timely, and accurate following Good Documentation Practices (GDP).
- Travel will be required for some activities such as 3rd party vendor training, service activities in partner laboratories, vendor visits, etc.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Excellent verbal and written English communication skills.
- Experience working within a regulated environment.
- Experience documenting and tracking service activities.
- Adaptable, open to change and able to work in ambiguous situations and respond to new information and unexpected circumstances.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills including the ability to easily convey concepts and priorities as well as ability to solicit feedback and inputs.
- Ability to employ gross motor and fine motor skills during the installation, servicing, and maintenance of laboratory equipment.
- Ability to lift, carry, or otherwise move up to 40lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering Technology, Molecular Biology, or a related field.
- 5+ years of experience servicing laboratory equipment.
- 2+ years of experience in a position with responsibility leading direct reports.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Working knowledge of clinical laboratory service operations and activities.
- Experience servicing or supporting complex laboratory equipment such as liquid handling robots.
- Demonstrated ability to plan workload, allocate tasks and scale operations to align with business priorities.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top