Laboratory Process Engineer
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Laboratory Process Engineer provides expertise in process efficiencies for laboratory system design and continuous improvement efforts. The Process Engineer optimizes laboratory processes to maximize efficiency and quality though creativity in design, development, optimization and problem solving of laboratory workflows. The Laboratory Process Engineer will also track and monitor performance of laboratory process lines and automated systems with a goal of increasing system robustness, reduce downtime, and defect rates within each system.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for pursuing continuous improvement the laboratory production processes, justified by data driven return on investment and through root cause problem solving and standardization.
- Provide process engineering support for resolution of process and equipment problems.
- Maintain product specifications that reflect customer requirements and translate to design input and outputs.
- Interface with Specimen Processing and Technical Laboratory personnel to establish user needs and requirements.
- Partner with cross-functional teams to identify new technologies and methods to increase laboratory performance, add features, reduce component, and production costs.
- Coordinate validation plans for material changes, process optimization, and specification changes; development of an evaluation plan, coordination of the appropriate personnel to be present during trials.
- Partner with laboratory Service and Support to set standards and procedures for processes ensuring sustainability of standards.
- Work with regulatory affairs and lab leadership to assure compliance with all regulatory bodies and standards, including CAP and CLIA.
- Communicates effectively with all levels in the organization, ability to communicate cross functionally.
- Participates in the development and/or improvement of company procedures that are associated with the service and support function process improvement meetings.
- Demonstrates ownership of and ability to manage project assignments with a broad scope and high level of complexity and able to prioritize and complete work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrates advanced problem-solving skills using quality and statistical tools.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to effectively interact with others.
- Demonstrated ability to lead cross-functional teams to achieve project results within required timeframes.
- Assists the department leader to generate capital budgets.
- Supports and complies with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Other assignments as made by management.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work additional hours during the week or on weekends may be required.
- Ability to lift up to 45 pounds for approximately 5% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work standing for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability and means to travel between Madison Exact Sciences locations.
- Ability to travel 15% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in chemical or mechanical engineer, or a similar discipline.
- 5+ years of experience working with industrial laboratory automation equipment.
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Power Point, Project and Outlook.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Ability to perform the essential duties of the position, with or without accommodation.
- Process engineering experience.
- Lean Six Sigma experience, training, or certification.
- Experience with high-speed manufacturing equipment, installations, and machine start-ups.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top