Human Resources Business Partner
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The HR Business Partner (HRBP) is a primary point of contact for Exact Sciences Laboratories employees and managers to provide support on performance management, coaching, HR fundamentals and employee related questions. This role will specifically support the Exact Sciences Laboratories (ES Labs) business, based in Madison, Wisconsin. This role is critical in executing Exact Sciences’ key HR initiatives that support the business objectives and organization growth plans. The HRBP is responsible for developing and improving processes related to employee management and engagement and will drive HR functional excellence within assigned business units. This role reports to the Senior Vice President of Human Resources.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide dedicated HR support to employees and managers with specific focus on process training, employee relations, performance management, compensation planning, employee engagement, career development, change initiatives and talent acquisition within assigned business unit.
- Partner with ES Labs leaders to create and support an inclusive culture focused on open communication, accountability, diversity and creating talent development opportunities.
- Partner with the commercial leaders to assess capabilities across the teams and plan workforce needs accordingly. Ensure that appropriate training opportunities are identified and provided to employees to grow personal, career and organizational development capabilities.
- Ensure appropriate training is delivered and frequently refreshed regarding regulatory and laboratory practice standards (HIPAA, CAP, federal, state & local regulations) to ensure understanding and compliance by all personnel.
- Manage diverse workforce personnel through application of policies and best practices. Includes managing HR initiatives for salaried, hourly, technical and non-technical workforce. Also requires appropriate management of contract (temporary) resources through staffing agencies.
- Collaborate with leaders to develop & implement motivating, fair & balanced personnel policies, practices and ES Labs engagement initiatives.
- Lead ES Labs teams in the annual review process and ongoing performance management.
- Serve as the first point of contact for questions and consultation/guidance related to HR topics and issues. Properly identify & effectively resolve routine employee relations issues. Conduct investigations, engage legal counsel & manage performance improvement plans as necessary.
- Develop recruitment and retention strategies to identify, attract, engage and retain high-performing talent.
- Regularly report on HR metrics for leadership team to be able to address attrition rates, performance management metrics, employee satisfaction levels, etc.
- Lead and/or assist with key HR initiatives including performance management processes, employee engagement, talent development, onboarding and training.
- Identify HR process and transactional optimization opportunities and work with HR team to streamline and align processes.
- Play a key role in promoting Exact’s values and nurturing the culture as the company goes through a period of rapid growth. Provide necessary resources and guidance around change management, effective communication and promote cross-functional collaboration.
- Maintain and protect confidential data with utmost scrutiny, judgment, and care and ensure awareness of and compliance with employment regulations and laws.
- Bachelor’s degree in a business major, Human Resources preferred; or an HR certification (PHR, etc.) with at least four years of relevant experience.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience in the Human Resources function, including at least 2 years supporting an hourly workforce with progressively increasing responsibility/ownership for areas such as recruiting, training, compensation, employee development and performance management.
- Demonstrated awareness of regulations (federal, state & local) & compliance expectations related human resource management, employee relations & labor practices. Successful completion of specific coursework in human resources compliance preferred.
- Demonstrated experience managing HR aspects of a blended workforce including the dynamics of having temporary and direct, hourly and salaried, technical and non-technical employees.
- Demonstrated ability to provide effective guidance and coaching in a variety of situations (developmental, disciplinary, etc.). Successful completion of coaching certification or coursework preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to build relationships and effectively connect with others; approachable & viewed as a responsive resource for employees and leaders.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written. Strong presentation skills with demonstrated ability to connect with and engage audiences of differing levels (front-line supervisors, executives, etc.)
- Strong project management and organization skills with demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Strong proficiency in Microsoft Office suite (MS Word, Power Point & Excel).
- Human resources generalist and/or manager experience in a high-growth technology or healthcare business
- Experience designing and delivering employee training on a wide variety of topics.
- Strong business acumen; including comfort with accountability to business metrics, ability to make sense out of complexity and ability to understand business financials and use to think strategically and take appropriate actions.
- Master’s degree (MBA or MLR, MHR, etc.)
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. The Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
As a research scientist on the Product Development Team, Brenda’s core responsibilities revolve around new pipeline projects and process improvements to Exact Sciences’ Cologuard tests.
Back to top