Director, Corporate Strategy
- Madison, WI
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Director, Corporate Strategy is a highly visible, influential, and interactive position that serves as an expert resource and consultant to executive management in the assessment of a variety of strategic initiatives. This position helps define and shape corporate strategy, track industry trends, evaluate market opportunities, and support leadership in aligning resources to execute and deliver on those strategies. This position reports into the corporate strategy function but collaborates closely with the Business Development and AOPH (Access Outcomes & Population Health) team and must also work closely with Screening, Precision Oncology, International, and Pipeline business leadership. This role provides strategic leadership to cross-functional teams by working to define clear and realistic goals, clearing barriers to success, developing a clear management view of assigned projects and how they fit into the strategic landscape, and understanding of all the skills and tasks associated with successful project execution. This person is also responsible for supporting a collaborative environment that promotes positive teamwork where all members are working for the good of Exact Sciences. The successful candidate will demonstrate outstanding strategic thinking, collaboration, and communication.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Participate in the development of the long-range corporate strategy at Exact Sciences. This will require extensive collaboration with executive leadership.
- Identify, research, and report on industry trends, competition, and shifting regulatory/reimbursement landscapes to inform corporate and pipeline strategies.
- Expertly evaluate individual market opportunities by assessing clinical need, reimbursement outlook, estimating market size, and understanding product capabilities.
- Oversee quantitative and qualitative market research, literature reviews, internal coordination, and research to aid the prioritization of corporate strategies (e.g., new products, product expansions, M&A, etc.).
- Advise business leaders by providing data-based strategic direction to identify and address business issues and opportunities.
- Work in collaboration with other business leaders to drive decisions based on data, facts, and analytical findings across the organization.
- Lead, manage, and execute ad-hoc cross-functional strategy/consulting projects involving market research, external consultants, and internal cross-functional teams.
- Help clear barriers to team progress and resolve conflicts within the team and outside the team.
- Provide and seek guidance of corporate strategy team members on management techniques; including coaching and performance feedback.
- Promote an open, collaborative environment built on trust to foster positive teamwork.
- Serve as an internal strategy consultant by assisting executive leadership with assessment of their own department level strategies.
- Work cross-functionally to align corporate resources with long term corporate strategy to better drive strategy execution.
- Provide strategy leadership and support to the business development and pipeline teams.
- Communicate clearly and frequently with all levels of the organization; including corporate strategy team members, project team members (core and extended), functional managers, commercial organization, key opinion leaders, stakeholders, and partners.
- Oversee development of high-quality presentations that effectively communicate corporate strategy and tie the strategies together into a cohesive story.
- Oversee creation of models/analysis in Excel to conduct the above responsibilities.
- Attend tradeshows/industry events, as appropriate, for tracking trends and competition.
- Supervise staff; including, but not limited to, organize and prioritize work, write/conduct performance reviews, train/develop, and manage work performance.
- Communicate goals clearly to team/project members to ensure understanding and success in achieving them.
- Motivate and inspire direct reports and team members to do their best work through coaching.
- Maintain morale and support employee engagement initiatives.
- Apply strength in performing complex analyses and the ability to present data and recommendations to a variety of audiences throughout an organization.
- Utilize exceptional interpersonal, teamwork and verbal and written communication skills; ability to convey important messages and drive focus through variety of communication methods.
- Manage and prioritize strategies, initiatives, and workload proactively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment with limited oversight and direction.
- Motivate and lead teams of cross-functional resources in a matrixed organization with competing priorities, with or without direct authority or reporting relationships.
- Work in ambiguous situations and respond to new information and unexpected circumstances.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 90% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a computer and phone simultaneously.
- Ability and means to travel between either Madison or Redwood City locations.
- Ability to travel 25% of working time away from work location, may include overnight/weekend/international travel.
- PhD in Life Sciences or related field; or Masters degree in Life Sciences, Business Administration, or related field and 1 year of experience in lieu of PhD; or Bachelor’s degree and 2 years of experience in lieu of PhD.
- 9+ years of experience working in strategy consulting, corporate strategy, investment banking, or related experience.
- 5+ years of supervisory or project team lead experience with demonstrated ability to lead, develop and train team members effectively.
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Office to include Excel (financial modeling and data analysis) and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- PhD in Biology, Chemistry, or related field.
- 13+ years of relevant work experience.
- 11+ years of experience working in diagnostics or related field, with demonstrated ability to effectively contribute toward team goals.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top