Clinical Laboratory Technical Specialist
- Madison, WI
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Clinical Laboratory Technical Specialist provides services of technical nature in the laboratory service areas. This position is primarily responsible for coordinating day-to-day activities in the laboratory to ensure prompt test processing. The Clinical Laboratory Technical Specialist is the front line in trouble shooting instrument, reagent, and sample issues for the laboratory area. The position works directly with Clinical Laboratory leadership to anticipate and resolve issues related to efficiencies in throughput, staffing, and laboratory processes. The position is also responsible for verifying result release and pending list management and investigation. This individual performs complex laboratory tests in the clinical laboratory to provide physicians with rapid and accurate laboratory test results. The Clinical Laboratory Technical Specialist will also assist in Quality Control data collection and analysis. Specific duties also include; processing of specimens in the laboratory, performance of moderate, and highly complex analytical process, establishing performing and documenting quality assurance, quality control and equipment maintenance, recognizing problems and assisting the Clinical Laboratory leadership in identifying causes, confirming and verifying results, principles, and instruments, correlating and interpreting data based on knowledge of factors affecting test results, data handling and input, and answering the telephone.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Performs moderate, and/or highly complex analytic processes without direct supervision. Uses routine and specialized automated and non-automated laboratory procedures and/or techniques for which qualified, trained, and demonstrates competency according to established lab section operating procedures.
- Operates laboratory instruments and ensures proper functioning of laboratory equipment.
- Troubleshoots instrument malfunction(s) and performs preventive and corrective maintenance, and repairs on all laboratory equipment.
- Assists in planning and execution of verification and validation testing of laboratory tests.
- Completes required maintenance activities on equipment, recognizes, and elevates potential issues to the team members responsible.
- Maintains records and reviews documentation of maintenance as assigned.
- Calibrates laboratory instruments to ensure accuracy of test results. Performs quality control procedures, as specified, and maintains quality control records and documentation necessary to meet the standards of accrediting agencies.
- Understands and assists in training employees, on an as needed basis, regarding appropriate specimen collection, handling, and transport procedures.
- Prepares specimens for analysis and determines acceptability of samples within guidelines.
- Assists in developing procedures for specimen collection, handling, and transport to maintain specimen integrity and viability.
- Verifies accuracy, and enters data in the laboratory computer system, along with appropriate explanatory or interpretive information. Meets all section turn-around times.
- Validates acceptability of test results by review of quality control and all other test parameters.
- Identifies the technical, instrumental, and/or physiologic causes of unexpected test results and assists the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor in developing corrective action.
- Evaluates and calculates quality control statistics to assess accuracy, reproducibility, and validity of current laboratory methods.
- Monitors quality assurance and assists in data collection and preparation of QA indicators.
- Performs internal and external proficiency testing. Handles proficiency-testing samples in the same manner as patient samples.
- Assists the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor in developing and distributing proficiency samples, analysis and reporting of testing results.
- Maintains clean and orderly work area. Cleans bench surfaces and equipment each shift or after contamination or spill.
- Meets work product output expectations.
- Complies with safety and hazard regulations as outlined in the Clinical Laboratory Safety Manual. Failure to follow safety protocols will result in disciplinary action. Understands, maintains, and enforces safety guidelines.
- Recognizes and reports abnormal results. Recognizes unexpected results, errors, and problems with patient tests.
- Knowledge of the theory of laboratory procedures. Identifies technical, instrumental, and/or physiologic causes of unexpected test results. Assists the supervisor and Clinical Laboratory Supervisor in developing solutions to problems based on knowledge of biochemical theory/reactions, patient diagnosis, and instrument performance.
- Ensures quality and timeliness of patient test results by investigating problems involving specimen collection, result reporting, and turn-around time. Interprets problems with specimens which meet the rejection criteria for unacceptable samples. Makes the decision to reject a sample and request recollection to ensure validity of results.
- Uses statistical methods to assess laboratory testing.
- Observes principles of data security and patient confidentiality. Maintains ethical standards in the performance of testing and in interactions with patients, co-workers, and other healthcare professionals.
- Prioritizes order of testing based on priority of request, workload, and testing schedules to meet turn-around times. Coordinates general workflow in assigned area.
- Differentiates technical, instrumental, and/or physiologic causes for unexpected test results.
- Resolves and documents resolution of all QC results which fail lab criteria and institutes corrective action.
- Evaluates instrument/method failure and determines when back-up methods must be initiated.
- Responds to technical questions consistent with level of training.
- Participates in continuing education and staff meetings. Prepares and presents continuing education programs for department personnel as requested. Responsible for own professional development.
- Instructs personnel in work team(s) on new methods and/or instruments.
- Teaches laboratory procedures, processes, and policies, including methodology and instrument operation.
- May be requested to give lectures or provide demonstrations. May assist the education coordinator in the development of objectives, learning activities, and evaluation mechanisms.
- Provides technical information and/or instruction to clients, new employees, medical students, residents, peers, and the public as requested and where appropriate.
- Contributes to design, research, review, and writing of laboratory manuals. Remains informed of procedure updates and changes.
- Primary source of contact for staff in the laboratory area for technical problem solving.
- Maintains adequate inventory of reagents and supplies.
- Discards outdated reagents according to section policy.
- Performs inventory counts as requested.
- Suggests cost-effective laboratory procedures or protocol changes.
- Assists on training new employees.
- Assists in verifying competency of new employees.
- Supervises laboratory personnel as assigned.
- Implements changes, as assigned, in response to new technology and laboratory procedures.
- Reviews daily data reports as requested.
- Reports test results through laboratory computer system.
- Informs physicians concerning details and limitations of lab procedures.
- Applies step-by-step thinking, problem solving and critical thinking patterns.
- Performs analytical and decision-making functions without direct supervision.
- Maintains open and effective communication with personnel in work team, and with members of other teams throughout the laboratory.
- Willingness to cooperate with team members and with cross-functional groups in the laboratory to accomplish timely and accurate testing.
- Professional demeanor, in personal appearance and behavior, in all work-related interactions inside and outside of the laboratory.
- Ability to respond to stakeholder requests in a professional and timely manner.
- Exceptional written and verbal English communication skills; ability to communicate with staff, patients, colleagues, and providers.
- Ability to train others on technical concepts and test for understanding.
- Adaptable by embracing changes in the laboratory with a positive attitude.
- Provides constructive criticism for modification of laboratory procedures, policies, and test/employee scheduling.
- Interacts with other healthcare workers to solve problems and interprets patient lab results within the framework of medical technology.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to lift and move 20-40 pounds on an occasional basis (up to 25% of time).
- Ability to stand, walk, bend, and reach on a regular basis (standing ≈50% of time, sitting ≈50% of time).
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to work and perform multiple lab tests simultaneously.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- Ability to hear timers go off.
- Bachelor’s degree in Clinical Laboratory Science, Medical Technology or in the chemical or biological sciences.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in a clinical laboratory.
- Appropriate certification from one of the nationally recognized certification agencies, i.e. ASCP or state licensure that has been determined to be equivalent.
- Demonstrated ability to perform the Essential Duties of the position with or without accommodation.
- Authorization to work in the United States without sponsorship.
- 1+ years of relevant experience in molecular testing.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top