- Redwood City, CA
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Histotechnologist is responsible for performing skilled and accurate cutting on patient specimens under the supervision of Pathologists, interacting with sending sites and ordering physicians, performing quality control and specimen-related checks and complying with all applicable local, state, and federal laboratory requirements.
The high complexity nature of the work requires excellent attention to detail, effective written and verbal communication skills, the ability to multi-task and be flexible with tasks and schedules, and the ability to work independently in a team environment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintain stringent standards for quality, identifying any issues which might adversely impact the quality of test results and/or employee safety, and immediately communicating these to the appropriate management representatives as necessary for prompt resolution.
- Perform routine and non-routine activities involved in Histology including sectioning and H&E staining under the supervision of Pathologists.
- Perform microdissection of samples under the supervision of Pathologists.
- Train on workflow queues.
- Prepare reagents, solutions and controls.
- Perform and document equipment maintenance and calibration.
- Assist in sample returns as necessary.
- Interact with internal Pathologists, Exact Sciences associates and external customers in accordance to Exact Sciences standard operating procesdures (SOP’s) to ensure specimens are processed in a timely manner with high quality.
- Process specimens for research and development sponsored studies.
- Assist in the identification of opportunities for process improvements for Exact Sciences Histopathology.
- Assist in workflow, protocol and related SOP development.
- Assist in equipment specification, installation, and maintenance.
- Provide summary reports on process metrics as needed.
- Contribute to corporate strategy for additional regulatory approvals (CAP, FDA, etc.) relating to Exact Sciences Histopathology.
- Assist in running projects for development of Exact Sciences Histopathology around new product (service) and process development.
- Perform other duties/participate in tactical development projects as necessary.
- Able to integrate and apply feedback in a professional manner.
- Able to prioritize and drive to results with a high emphasis on quality.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Strong communicator with ability to maintain open communication with internal employees, managers and customers as needed.
- Strong computer skills.
- First rate interpersonal skills.
- Highly detail and quality oriented.
- Ability to work designated schedule.
- Ability to work nights and/or weekends.
- Ability to work overtime as needed.
- Regular and reliable attendance.
- Uphold company mission and values through accountability, innovation, integrity, quality, and teamwork.
- Support and comply with the company’s Quality Management System policies and procedures.
- Ability to lift up to 25 pounds for approximately 10% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work seated for approximately 75% of a typical working day. Ability to work standing for approximately 25% of a typical working day.
- Ability to work on a mobile device, tablet, or in front of a computer screen and/or perform typing for approximately 75% of a typical working day.
- Ability to grasp with both hands; pinch with thumb and forefinger; turn with hand/arm; reach above shoulder height.
- Ability to comply with any applicable personal protective equipment requirements.
- Ability to use various types of laboratory equipment including microscopes, microtomes, blades, strainers, pipettes for extended periods of time.
- May perform repetitious actions using lab tools.
- Ability to use near vision to view samples at close range.
- May be exposed to hazardous materials, tissue specimens and instruments with moving parts, lasers, heating and freezing elements.
- Associates degree in Life Sciences or related field; or high school diploma/general education degree and 2 years relevant experience in lieu of Associates degree.
- 1+ year(s) experience in a laboratory setting with knowledge of best practices.
- Must demonstrate ability to perform the essential duties of the position with or without accommodations.
- ASCP Board of Certification, HT(ASCP) or HTL(ASCP).
- Experience in a Histology laboratory setting with working knowledge of microtomy/cutting, embedding and staining techniques.
- Bachelor's degree in Life Sciences or related field.
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program are available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Back to top