Associate Director, Medical Affairs
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Director functions in a leadership role in the Medical Affairs department. This position leads the team of Medical Science Specialists (MSSs) with nationwide responsibilities. The Associate Director will collaborate with the Marketing and Sales leadership and teams to develop the strategic implementation and relaunch of a team of regionally based MSSs. Travel is up to 70% within key US markets and Exact Sciences headquarters in Madison, WI to provide national leadership and support to drive strategic scientific exchange, clinical education, and KOL opinion leader identification and development.
This position reports to the Senior Director of Medical Affairs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The primary responsibility of the Associate Director is to lead and manage the regionally based Medical Science Specialists. Other essential responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Acts in a leadership capacity for the Medical Affairs team and works closely with headquarters, laboratory and field-based teams to implement customer strategies aligned with scientific exchange, clinical education, and key opinion leader engagement.
- Manage the MSS collaboration and support with headquarters functions including Marketing, Market Access, Sales, Commercial Operations, Corporate Affairs, Clinical Affairs, Regulatory Affairs, and Compliance/Legal.
- Develop and implement strategies, SOPs, and processes to ensure that MSSs perform their duties to meet objectives and in compliance with regulatory requirements.
- Work collaboratively with the sales and marketing corporate departments and field sales teams to create and implement educational strategies for key clients.
- Provide insight into market trends and competition
- Builds relationships and assists in the development of key opinion leaders as potential speakers and collaborators for Exact Sciences.
- Builds relationships with key decision makers in health systems, medical groups, healthcare provider offices, state departments of public health, advocacy organizations, and national/regional professional societies.
- Collaborates with the Medical Affairs leadership in the development and implementation of the strategy for identification and development of key opinion leaders.
- Collaborate with clients and thought leaders on a national, regional and local level to develop clinical insights that support medical research associated with new and existing products.
- Collects and reports market information within company guidelines.
- Provides Clinical Affairs team with recommendations on investigator and site selection for future trials and studies.
- Provides insights to Sales Force Effectiveness team regarding opportunities for updates and improvements in sales force training for sales force leadership and management.
- Attend regional and national tradeshows, symposia, and scientific/clinical meetings.
- Identify national/regional educational events such as patient education events and CME events.
- Manage time and travel expense budget to support scientific exchange and clinical education activities at key national accounts.
- Become proficient in and demonstrate ability to understand the major data sources (clinical trials, studies, published reports, etc.) relative to the use of Exact Sciences’ products.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in life sciences
- Minimum of 8 years of industry experience in healthcare or medical technology fields with Medical Affairs or similar industry experience.
- Demonstrated track record of leading and managing field-based medical affairs personnel
- Demonstrate excellent English written and oral communication skills, as well as effective formal presentation skills.
- Ability to work well independently, and manage time effectively.
- Strong attention to detail with a focus on producing high quality work.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and decision making skills.
- Must be willing to travel at least 70% within the US as needed
- Must possess a valid driver's license, have no more than 2 moving violations in the past 36 months, and have no unresolved revocation or suspension issues.
- Master’s degree, MPH or MPA or MS; PhD or PharmD
- Experience in public health, population health management, health insurance, and medical quality.
- Experience with screening and wellness programs is strongly desired.
- An in-depth knowledge of the health care market as well as experience with clinical trials is a plus.
- Experience with working with and/or for advocacy groups and professional societies.
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time.
- Ability to sit for an extended period.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to constantly move about to coordinate work.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally. Ability to travel via automobile, airplane or other mode of commuter transportation approximately 60% of the time.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, etc. face-to-face, via the telephone or by email.
- Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds on an occasional basis.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. The Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Senior Manager, Accounting
As Senior Manager of Accounting for Exact Science’s Finance Team, Ashley’s main responsibilities are external financial reporting, maintaining a sound internal control structure, and administering the company’s stock plans.
Back to top