Associate Director, Area Managers - Northeast US
Summary of Major Responsibilities
The Associate Director, Area Managers is responsible for leading a team of Area Managers (AMs) within a specific regional geography, who in turn lead a team of Professional Medical Representatives that focus their promotional messaging on the clinical/operational selling of Cologuard to Primary Care Physicians and their full medical support team. The Associate Director, Area Managers will recruit, train, coach, lead and provide performance management for a team of AMs. The Associate Director, Area Managers is responsible for the overall business and driving adoption of Cologuard in the Areas they have direct responsibility for within the region. They will also be responsible for the development of relationships with key customers within their areas that are driving high volumes of business, assisting NAMs/AMs in securing Cologuard on clinical guidelines/policy, plus facilitating cross-functional implementation and leading collaborative field pull through activity planning within Health Systems that reside in their area geography (including sales, education, marketing, etc.).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Successfully lead a team of regional Area Managers; recruitment and selection of highly qualified Area Managers to backfill vacancies, deliver effective training and development to enhance business acumen and coaching/counselling skill sets, and hold accountable for sales performance and performance management of their area teams
- Oversee and monitor the area managers sales targets, resource and budget allocation and maintain ongoing reporting of progress of Area Manager team to Regional VP and Sales VP/commercial leadership
- Assist RVP in defining strategy for regional/area health systems, large group practices, IPAs, hospitals, and overall market access in the utilization of Cologuard and other potential additions to the promotional portfolio
- Partner with NAM/AM to establish relationships with Region/Area high priority Key Opinion Leaders, C-Suite, procurement teams, laboratory personnel, etc. to facilitate access to Cologuard and influence/change to CRC screening protocols
- Develop comprehensive Region/Area pull-through tactical plans with Regional VP, Area Managers, Inside Sales Managers and their direct reports
- Utilize Tableau dashboards, FCR reports, and CRM to monitor Area Manager sales performance and coaching/counselling of their teams to ensure high expectations are being met for motivation/engagement of their middle-high performers, and appropriate performance management of low performers
- Partner with Regional HR Business Manager to oversee/monitor coaching conversations and documentation of performance and/or compliance issues with middle-low performers to ensure performance management SOPs are adhered to
- Conducts regular business reviews with each Area Manager and participate in quarterly Leadership Forums to monitor progress against goals, compliance, career development, as well as bi-annual talent reviews of top talent with RVP/SVP/HR
- Collect ongoing customer insights, market trends & competitive data pertinent to region/areas, and communicate to management, inside sales, medical affairs and Lab/Provider Support and marketing teams.
- Bachelor's degree
- At least 8 years of sales and/or marketing experience in the healthcare space, such as the diagnostic, surgical or pharmaceutical verticals, demonstrating progressively increasing responsibilities or scope
- At least 5 years of demonstrated success in commercial leadership, of either national/regional accounts or first line leadership and ability to work across matrix partners to align objectives and execute business plans
- Must possess strong analytical skills and ability to course correct with strong tactical/execution plans
- Must possess strong coaching/counselling skills to support performance management
- Must be self-directed; acting as a change agent and as such have results orientation, with an ability to work independently and make decisions in a dynamic environment dealing with internal and external issues
- Demonstrated ability to effectively prioritize and manage time and multiple projects across an array of customer types
- Effective presentation skills; able to present ideas and evidence-based scientific and economic data to customers in a way that produces understanding and impact
- Willingness to travel regionally or nationally at least 60%
- Must possess a valid driver's license, have no more than 2 moving violations in the past 36 months, and have no unresolved revocation or suspension issues
- Experience in business development with a proven track record of success.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical, device, or laboratory industry
- Experience in working within a cross functional team to successfully launch a brand
- Experience in account management and/or transactional selling environment
- Experience in project management with strong analytical skills
- Ability to work in team environment to achieve success
- MBA or Master’s degree
- Ability to use computers daily in an interactive manner for extended periods of time and up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and up to 6 hours at a time.
- Ability to travel (by land and air), both domestically and internationally, on occasion.
- Ability to frequently and accurately communicate with employees, customers, and vendors in person, via the telephone or by email.
- Constant walking or motion to coordinate work and interact with co-workers.
Exact Sciences is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, creed, disability, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and any other status protected by applicable local, state or federal law. Applicable portions of the Company’s affirmative action program is available to any applicant or employee for inspection upon request.
Meet Some of Exact Sciences's Employees
Customer Care Specialist
Marco assists customers with Cologuard and guides patients through the process of using the product.
Back to top