Senior Product and Privacy Counsel
In the last decade, Eventbrite and has grown from a small US company to a complex global business, with operations in over 186 countries and 10 offices worldwide. Accompanying this exciting international growth is any number of complex regulations and laws impacting, among others, commercial business dealings, payment services, e-commerce, and ticketing that challenge our day to day operations.
The Eventbrite legal and policy team partners with all business units to develop strategies and solutions that satisfy legal requirements, proactively assess legal risk, collaboration on product solutions, and drive business growth. We provide counsel on matters across the globe with teams focused on commercial contracts, privacy, regulatory and product compliance, privacy, employment, litigation, corporate, securities, and government affairs and content policy.
As a senior member of the legal department’s Product and Policy team, you’ll be responsible for our privacy, consumer protection, payment processing, IP, and general regulatory compliance efforts globally. You’ll become a business enabler across Eventbrite collaborating closely with product management, research and design, engineering, user experience, customer support, and the data and security teams, allowing each to move quickly while maintaining an appropriate legal risk profile and creating scalable processes. Specifically in partnership with our security and data engineering teams, you’ll create global policies and procedures specifically related to fraud, data incident mitigation and overall data governance. You’ll guide product development and privacy policies across Eventbrite’s entire global business and will see your impact immediately as we bring products to market.
- Lead the ongoing support, continued integration, and periodic training of Eventbrite’s recently launched global data privacy program across North and South America, Europe and Australia further localizing guidance where needed to meet the needs of our consumers or creators
- Plan for and manage requirements related to the CCPA and Brazil’s General Data Privacy Law
- Gain in-depth knowledge of our product offering in order to advise on compliance with local and international laws and regulations dealing with consumer protection, payments, e-commerce, IP, tax, marketing, privacy and security
- Concisely articulate Eventbrite privacy or regulatory positioning in briefing papers, consultation responses, or internal and external meetings
- Support M&A transactions and/or financing transactions, including post-close integration efforts
- Manage Data Protection Impact Assessments & Records of Processing Activities
- Continue Privacy by Design efforts to create compliance efficiencies within the product
- Work closely with the Security and Corp Communications team in the event of a data incident
- Stay benchmarked against and connected to the privacy and product landscape across Silicon Valley and similar platform-based businesses
- Forge strong cross-functional relationships with teams throughout the Organization
- Proactively analyze proposed applicable emerging market regulations to update internal stakeholders and understand future compliance risk
- Partner with Eventbrite Strategy and Finance leadership in creating an approach to effectively monitor, assess and manage risk across the organization
- Lead or assist with various compliance efforts e.g. PCI, SOX, GDPR, PSD2
- Advise and educate Eventbrite leadership and conduct trainings on certain regulations (e.g., GDPR impact to various teams)
- Participate in strategic planning and budgeting exercises for the Product and Privacy function of the legal team
THE SKILL SET
- 7-10+ years of combined legal experience at a global law firm and/or in-house legal department of a technology company
- 2+ years of experience managing multiple direct reports
- Active participation in legal team planning and budgeting
- Motivated by continuous learning and improvement
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing, drafting and implementing compliance related policies
- Creative and practical legal counselor who can communicate information accurately and completely, while being concise and digestible for executive leadership
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills necessary to analyze regulatory requirements, product limitations, and the effectiveness of proposed resolutions
- Collaborative team player with an ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment
- Ability to offer both practical and theoretical advice demonstrating knowledge of the product and good business instincts
- Ability to prioritize and multitask; flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
- Demonstrated passion for the work and excitement to jump in
- Experience with:
- GDPR implementation
- Payment Processing Regulations
- Open Source licenses and contribution
- Active Eventbrite user that enjoys live events
Eventbrite is the world’s leading event technology platform, powering more than two million live experiences each year. We build technology that allows anyone to create, share, find and attend events of all kinds. Music festivals, marathons, conferences, hackathons, political rallies, fundraisers, gaming competitions— you name it, we power it. Meet some of the team.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT? Sign up to keep in touch and we’ll let you know when we have new positions on our team.
Eventbrite is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records
Back to top