Eventbrite operates one of the largest payment platforms in the world. In addition, the Eventbrite platform facilitates communication between organizers and their attendees, sending millions of messages per month. A successful Risk & Fraud engineer has a singular goal: to accurately stop fraud and spam in a way that is frictionless to the end user while scaling both technically and operationally.
The Risk & Fraud team at Eventbrite builds and maintains services and tools for a number of business-critical functions including protecting Eventbrite from financial loss, unsavory user-generated content, marketplace collusion, account takeover and other types of malicious behavior.
As a Senior Risk & Fraud Engineer, you'll be architecting and implementing performant systems as well as coordinating with our operations team to ensure that they run smoothly. You'll collaborate with engineering, product, and other business stakeholders to scope and design products correctly. You'll mentor other engineers and contribute to a robust learning culture. You'll be proactive, curious and accessible.
The Tech Stack
The main Risk & Fraud infrastructure is a Python-based service that can be queried by other systems at Eventbrite. We build tools within the core Eventbrite platform on top of React backed by Django. For datastores, we lean heavily on MySQL, Cassandra, and Redis. We use Kafka for large-scale data pipelining, and scikit-learn for machine learning.
THE SKILL SET
- 5+ years of relevant experience
- Strong (3+ years) experience with Python or other similar high-level languages
- Strong (3+ years) experience with MySQL or other RDBMS
- Experience (1+ years) with full-stack web development, Django experience a plus
- Unit-testing know-how required, experience with TDD or BDD a plus
- Efficient, practical, analytic programmer with a record of producing dependable and extensible systems
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in a technical field (CS/Math/Stats/Engineering), or equivalent experience
- Experience building fraud or spam detection systems
- Experience building administrative and operational tools
- Experience building data pipelines with technologies like Kafka, DataBus or Storm
- Experience with scikit-learn, Weka or similar machine learning platforms
- Experience building feature extraction systems for machine learning
- Experience with natural language processing
Eventbrite is the world’s largest ticketing and event technology platform, powering millions of live experiences around the globe. We build technology that allows anyone to create, share, find and attend events of all kinds. Music festivals, marathons, conferences, hackathons, political rallies, fundraisers, gaming competitions— you name it, we power it. Meet some of the team.
IS THIS ROLE NOT AN EXACT FIT?
Eventbrite is a proud equal opportunity/affirmative action employer supporting workforce diversity. We do not discriminate based upon race, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, religion, color, national origin, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, sexual stereotypes, age, genetic information, military or veteran status, mental or physical disability, political affiliation, status as a victim of domestic violence, assault or stalking, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.