USGAAP Technical Accounting Director
We are looking for a USGAAP Technical Accounting Principal to manage diverse, complex technical accounting areas.
You are an accounting professional capable of managing multiple priorities in a dynamic, rapidly growing and fluid organization. You are highly organized, skilled at communicating to all levels of the organization, working cross functionally and adept at writing technical memos and presenting information in a logical, strategic way to the Finance and Executive team.
You will have experience and expertise in general accounting, technical accounting, SEC reporting and internal controls gained in a combination of public accounting and public company experience. We value committed, detail-oriented and thoughtful individuals who bring operational excellence as well as a creative, mindful approach to their work.
You will be a master at advanced accounting topics as well as able to adapt quickly to change in the accounting world, industry and company. Additionally, your excited to improve the accounting and overall finance function at Etsy.
You will serve as the lead resource for researching and documenting technical accounting topics. You’ll work closely with teams both in and outside of finance, including Product, Engineering, Business Development, FP&A, Tax, Treasury and Legal.
You will report to the Controller and work in our Brooklyn, NY office.
About the Role
- Ensure thoughtful, timely and accurate research and documentation of technical accounting matters applicable to the company, such as Goodwill, Intangibles Asset, Cloud Based Contracts, Derivatives, Debt Instruments (Convertible Debt, Traditional Debt), EPS, etc.
- Stay informed on new accounting guidance for applicability to the company and ensure proper implementation, such as Revenue Recognition, Leasing, Cloud Based Contracts, etc.
- Preparation of information in SEC filing documents, including 10Ks, 10Qs and 8Ks.
- Review all new Company contracts for accounting and finance implications. Partner with Legal and Business areas to resolve issues.
- Review all new Company initiatives for accounting and finance implications. Build strong relationships within the accounting and overall finance teams, as well as cross-functionally in order to support these initiatives and resolve issues.
- Monitor ongoing and upcoming business transactions, as applicable, to advise our internal business partners on any accounting considerations.
- Liaise with Internal Audit to ensure a strong internal financial control environment with regard to new accounting areas (e.g. new pronouncements, new products, new businesses, etc.)
- Work closely with the external audit team and internal controls team to provide supporting documents related to all technical accounting areas.
- Prepare presentations and present to Controller and/or Executive Team on critical and/or material accounting matters.
- Participate in the leadership team of the Controllership organization
- Experience in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Total experience of 10 years, with a minimum of four years in a global SEC-compliant organization or as an auditor for a global SEC filer at a big four accounting firm.
- BS Degree in Accounting (Masters of Accounting a plus).
- CPA certification is mandatory.
- Experience successfully implementing issued accounting pronouncements, including research on application, communication and rollout to impacted teams, and updates to required disclosures.
- Ability to prioritize and work dedicatedly and independently, productively collaborating with relevant teams as necessary to manage priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional peers and other members of management.
- A positive outlook, a natural intellectual curiosity and a drive to make things better.
- Ability to be a creative business partner to business partners in supporting rapid growth
- Good judgment and discretion.
- Excellent organizational, prioritization and process improvement skills
- Ability to think critically and recognize discrepancies and anomalies through analysis.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top