Staff Compliance Engineer
At Etsy, we pride ourselves on engineering best practices for fast software delivery: continuous integration and deployment, robust testing, and constant experimentation, to name a few. As a public company, we also have compliance obligations, some of which relate to managing change and access control. The Compliance Engineering team sits at the intersection of these two objectives: how can we enable our dynamic engineering org to continue operating with contemporary software development methodology while remaining compliant with critical laws and regulations? How can we make adhering to compliance requirements invisible to engineers just looking to get features delivered?
This role is based in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- You will be part of a full-stack software engineering team that has end-to-end ownership of critical tools, processes, and services.
- You will work with PHP/Python/Ruby and may also use other languages. You will work with a variety of tools, including but not limited to Terraform, Chef, Jenkins, Docker, and GCP native tools. We expect you to understand and use the best options for the job.
- You will manage Linux systems.
- You will build tools and services with the goal of making compliance at Etsy frictionless.
- You will work closely with team-mates and partners that include engineers, analysts and project managers within the Compliance team, as well as across the Security team, Test Deployment Infrastructure team, and Platform teams.
- You will work closely with Etsy’s deployment pipelines and tooling.
- You will work with the Engineering org at large to gain a deep understanding of Etsy Engineering, i.e. infrastructure, tech stack, risk, up/downstream impacts, tooling practices, etc
- You've led and completed multiple large, successful projects within a team environment as a senior software or systems engineer. Each of these projects may have taken many months or longer to see through.
- You take the lead on directing and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems.
- Your work extends to many parts of a domain, and may begin to influence your entire department or domain.
- You align your team's work with Etsy business and engineering priorities to realize meaningful impact.
- You set technical direction for your teammates.
- You improve the overall quality of engineering done on your team and consistently take steps to support the growth and success of your teammates.
- You are eager to learn and to teach.
- You have deep experience maintaining and monitoring systems, owning a deploy stack as well as a test environment, and managing user facing components.
- You have some experience with front end design and engineering.
- You understand that being an effective engineer is as much about communicating with people and understanding the problem to be solved as it is about writing code.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- You value workflow efficiency and believe in continuous improvement for yourself and your team.
- You’re creative, curious, and eager to learn.
- You are resilient to change.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skill sets.
Back to top