Software Engineer, Search Infrastructure - San Francisco
Etsy is looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our Search Infrastructure team and help us connect buyers and sellers in meaningful ways.
The Search Infrastructure team is part of Etsy's Search Sciences group. Our mission is to build, evolve, and scale the core infrastructure powering Etsy’s search and AI platform. We’re a small team with big impact that owns and operates all system components powering Etsy’s search and aims to utilize aggressive automation to ensure our infrastructure scales independently of the size of the team. We value empathy, communication and technical skills equally. You’ll be a key engineer in designing and developing our next-generation search system. You'll work with our ranking, data science, and infrastructure partners to implement scalable solutions to complex problems.
About the Role
- Design, build and evolve the core infrastructure of our search platform
- Help us improve our next-generation information retrieval system which allows Etsy to ship new relevance-based AI products while simultaneously improving the quality of our existing infrastructure
- Build highly scalable system software using primarily Java and Scala
- Work cross-functionally with various engineering teams
- You’re an infrastructure engineer that takes pride in building reliable systems with great visibility that engineers love to work with. You care deeply about the product and know how and when to make trade-offs. We don’t love lists since we’re not simply trying to tick boxes, but here are some skills that are useful for this role:
- MS or PhD in Computer Science or related technical field or BS with 2+ years of equivalent work experience
- Experience developing information retrieval technology or a strong desire to become an expert in the domain
- Experience architecting, improving, and operating large scale distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of developing and debugging with one of the following languages: Java, Scala
- Experience with Docker or a similar container framework and container orchestration tools such as Kubernetes
- Proficiency with search technologies and systems such as Lucene/Solr or Elasticsearch
- Comfort working on a *NIX command line and reading/writing Bash
- Experience with higher level scripting languages such as Python or PHP
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top