Software Engineer, Search Infrastructure (NYC)
The Search Infrastructure team at Etsy builds and maintains the core search platform that help Etsy buyers and sellers discover and celebrate handmade goods from all over the world. We own and operate all system components powering Etsy’s search and AI tools and aim to utilize aggressive automation to ensure our infrastructure scales independently of the size of the team.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning. Learn more about our engineering philosophies, tools, and some of the challenges we’ve been solving on our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.com/
About the Job:
- Design, build and support the core infrastructure of our search platform, including on-call duties.
- Work cross-functionally with various platform teams, ML teams and product partners to build the next generation of our high availability search platform in the cloud.
- Build and maintain observability and test tooling - logging, monitoring, distributed tracing, alerting and offline test tools needed for the search and ML stack.
- Practice continuous learning and agile delivery model to stay informed and focused on our deliverables.
- You have solid engineering and coding skills, data structure knowledge and ability to write high performance production quality code.
- You have experience working with languages like Java, Scala, Python, Go or other equivalent languages.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator and you make the engineers around you grow and learn.
- Experience with search technologies such as Lucene/Solr or Elasticsearch is a plus.
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker, and Google Cloud is a plus.
- Experience with Unix/Linux operating systems and networking stack (e.g., TCP/IP, routing, network topologies and hardware, SDN) is a plus.
- Experience with full stack development is a plus.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skill sets.
Back to top