Senior SRE, Runtime & Traffic
- New York, NY
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The Runtime & Traffic team at Etsy is committed to craft and maintain mission-critical systems that power our 69M active buyers, 3.7M active sellers, and 80M active listings, with a goal of 99.95% uptime. We are responsible for the reliability and health of thousands of hosts in GCP that power Etsy.com.
Our team's mission is to build and support world-class infrastructure that is responsible for the availability and reliability of etsy.com and excel at abstracting away the underlying networking complexity. We also create & support paved path experiences for engineering teams on their journey to containers at Etsy.
We're looking for people who are interested in getting involved in a wide array of technologies. We predominantly work with Terraform, GoLang, Chef and support the infrastructure monitoring stack powered by Prometheus, GKE, Cortex, and Loki. We are also responsible for the networking and content delivery stack which includes our CDNs, DNS, VPNs & enhancing Google's Software Defined Networking capabilities.
You will be playing an instrumental role in shaping the future architecture of how we run our systems in the cloud, and be part of a dynamic international team.
This is a full-time role in Brooklyn/New York, Dublin/Ireland or remote in the US states except Hawaii & Alaska.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
About the role:
- Design, develop and implement highly scalable and maintainable systems by contributing at all levels of our infrastructure stack leveraging technologies like Chef, Terraform, GKE, GoLang, Prometheus, Cortex, Envoy, Consul.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation and will identify opportunities for reducing toil and avoiding technical debt to reduce support and operations load on the team.
- You will work with the Engineering org at large to gain a deep understanding of Etsy Engineering, i.e. security, product engineering, risk, database infrastructure teams, and understand up/downstream impacts
- Iterate on existing tooling and evaluate where refactor or replacement is in our best interest.
- You will lead multiple complex technical initiatives involving our infrastructure.
- Empathy, communication, and technical skills are valued equally.
- You have 5+ years of experience in software engineering, where the last 2-3years is in systems/infrastructure engineering or SRE or DevOps roles, preferably in a cloud environment.
- You've led and completed multiple large, successful projects within a team environment as SRE or Devops. Each of these projects may have taken many months or longer to see through.
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems (Centos in specific) and have experience with hypervisors, Linux containers, with a basic understanding of underlying networking architecture.
- Hands-on experience with Infrastructure As Code tooling like Terraform and configuration management tooling like Chef/Ansible is essential.
- Bash is essential. While Go/Ruby/Python/PHP proficiency is more of a bonus.
- Exposure to container orchestration systems like Kubernetes (traffic ingresses, cluster networking/administration, pod security policies) is nice to have.
- You take the lead in directing and implementing solutions to significantly complex, unscoped problems.
- You have a "leave it better than you found it" mentality, and are willing to work with and improve on code you did not originally write.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team's roadmap.
- You are a strong collaborator and communicator with an eye for concise and clear written communication.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code.
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else - we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
Back to top