Senior Software Engineer/SRE
Etsy is seeking a Senior Software Engineer with SRE/Systems/DevOps experience to join its growing Compute team. As Etsy rapidly grows, our engineering teams need to enable Etsy's growth while providing innovative ways to improve our systems.
We in the Compute Team build, operate and automate the tools and services for our Etsy engineering organization. Our team is responsible for the production infrastructure that responds to web browser and API client requests. The infrastructure consists of a LAMP stack with specific optimizations and tuning to support the volume of traffic we receive, as well as the velocity of deploys made by engineers. The team is also the home of growing expertise in container management and orchestration technology such as Kubernetes.
The Compute team is part of the Systems Engineering organization, which is tasked with operations and tool development for our production runtime infrastructure. We partner with engineers to identify areas of improvement in the flow from code development to production deployment as we build the platform that connects millions of sellers and customers.
You will be joining a mission critical team responsible for the architecture and availability of the production systems that run Etsy.com and service layers that respond to web browser and API client requests, as well as the asynchronous processing platform.
We are currently transforming our platform to run on Google Cloud Platform and developing automation services to become cloud native. You will be playing an instrumental role in shaping the future architecture of how we run our systems in the cloud, and be part of a dynamic international team.
We're looking for people who are excellent at working with others and are problem-solvers, passionate about software craft. We value clear communication, honest feedback, and empathy for others. Etsy is actively preparing to move systems to a cloud provider, and this team will play a key role in this work. This is an exciting time to join Etsy, as the engineering team embarks on its next-generation work.
This is a full-time role located in Dublin, Ireland.
Learn more about life at ETSY : https://vimeo.com/147486052
About the Role
- We are currently migrating our systems to Google Cloud Platform. As a Senior Software Engineer you will be responsible for several technical deliverables, working together with our Staff Engineers and Architects.
- You will be responsible for implementing new systems on Google Kubernetes Engine and Google Compute Engine.
- You will pair up with other engineers and own medium to large size infrastructure projects end to end.
- You will produce stellar technical specs and documentation.
- You will participate in an on-call rotation, and will identify opportunities for reducing toil and avoiding technical debt to reduce support and operations load on the team.
- You have 3+ years of experience in an SRE or DevOps role, preferably in a cloud environment.
- You understand the architectural requirements of large scale, distributed, consumer facing applications.
- Bash/Python/Ruby proficiency essential. PHP/Go proficiency is more of a bonus.
- You have in-depth knowledge of Linux operating systems and have experience with hypervisors, Linux containers and orchestration managers
- You have experience with Chef for automation and workflow development.
- You are comfortable providing estimates or project ideas that will influence your team’s roadmap.
- You are a strong collaborator.
- Your written communication is concise and clear.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top