Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect millions of entrepreneurs with millions of buyers around the world. As an Etsy Inc. employee - whether a team member of Etsy, Reverb, Depop, or Elo7 - you'll tackle unique, meaningful, and large-scale problems alongside passionate coworkers, all the while making a rewarding impact and Keeping Commerce Human.
What's the role?
The Web Modularity team at Etsy is hiring a Senior Software Engineer. We're a new, small team with a big mission: modularizing our core web platform codebase and encouraging adoption of this modular architecture throughout Etsy. In this role, you'll be partnering with other members of the Web Modularity team as well as numerous other groups within Etsy to make this mission a reality.
The Web Modularity team is part of the Web Backend Enablement group at Etsy. As part of this group, we're focused on the development experience for Etsy's web platform. Currently, that means working to modernize our API, modularizing our core web platform (this team!), and improving developer and test tooling.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Senior Engineering Manager. For this role, we are considering candidates based in the United States who are either remote, flex, or office-based. Etsy offers different work modes to meet the variety of needs and preferences of our team. Learn more about our flexible work options and vaccination policy here.
What does the day-to-day look like?
- Identify opportunities and organize initiatives to modularize Etsy's core web platform
- Engage with a diverse set of teams and stakeholders to drive adoption of modularization
- Of course, this is just a sample of the kinds of work this role will require! You should assume that your role will encompass other tasks, too, and that your job duties and responsibilities may change from time to time at Etsy's discretion, or otherwise applicable with local law.
Qualities that will help you thrive in this role are:
- At least one of either:
- Experience refactoring large monoliths into either modular monoliths or microservices
- Exceptional modern PHP knowledge
- Proven track record of partnering across many teams to drive adoption of new technologies or practices
- Led and completed multiple large, successful projects within a team environment
- Experience working in a cloud environment
- E-commerce application development experience
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please share your resume with us and feel free to include a cover letter if you'd like. As we hope you've seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else -- we want you to be like you! So tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace furthers relevance, resilience, and longevity. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender identity or Veteran status. If, due to a disability, you need an accommodation during any part of the interview process, please let your recruiter know. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skills.
For U.S. roles only:
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. We're open to remote hires from all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit this link for information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.