Senior Software Engineer, Data Platform
The members of our Data Engineering department build infrastructure for collecting, storing, and analyzing huge sets of data in batch and streaming pipelines. We also use this infrastructure to create and support high-quality datasets. Our work powers the rest of the company and enable new product development, machine learning and personalization, marketing campaigns, and financial analysis.
We're looking for someone who is curious, enthusiastic, responsible, and generous. You should have experience working with or building platforms for at scale data processing and collaborating with other teams that use these platforms. Experience building applications using one of the major cloud providers is a bonus, but not required. We primarily write in Java, Scala, Python, and SQL and use technologies like Hadoop, Kafka, Airflow, Avro/Thrift, and GCP comparables like Dataproc, Dataflow, and BQ.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, and that the work we do is part of a larger creative culture that includes the hundreds of thousands of inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a unique marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We believe in measuring everything, taking advantage of our pioneering continuous deployment system to ship code early and often, and keeping up a blameless culture based on trust and a commitment to learning.
This is a full-time role located in Brooklyn, NY.
About the Role
- We build highly-performant systems that are maintainable and easy to understand by selecting and integrating with the best of current technologies.
- Our team is responsible for developing and monitoring our batch and streaming environments and improving or fixing them over time.
- We also write ETL code and advise other teams on how to improve theirs.
- We build a lot of APIs and libraries in Java, Scala, or Python.
- We are responsible for the quality and consistent availability of our core business data.
- Understand that being an effective software engineer is about communicating with people as much as it is about writing code.
- You are willing to work with and improve code you did not originally write.
- You are generous with your time and experience, and can mentor other engineers.
- Can take on unconstrained problems and know when to seek help.
- You have familiarity with a few of the following:
- The advantages and limitations of distributed systems
- Using or maintaining batch data processing environments like Hadoop or Dataproc, and stream processing systems like Kafka Streams, Spark, or Dataflow
- You have experience writing and scheduling ETL pipelines
- You have experience writing SQL queries for exploration and analysis
- Integrating data from multiple sources
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your CV or resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top