Etsy is seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our Data Platform team.
Our millions of buyers and sellers generate a lot of data, the Data Platform team makes sure that data is readily available throughout Etsy.
Etsy is looking to expand our capabilities when it comes to ingesting large amounts of heterogeneous data and making it available in a low-latency data pipeline, as well as providing engineering support for large scale machine learning and analytics.
About the Team
Here at Etsy, we believe that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by over a million inspired artists and designers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. The Data Platform team is responsible for the platforms we use for batch and streaming data analysis, as well as collecting and processing log data from around the company. Our data platforms are built using open source software, and the team is also engaged in looking for ways to contribute back to the community through new projects, patches, writing, and speaking.
About the Role
Etsy is a data-driven company and the Data Platform team makes that possible. We are responsible for building and maintaining the systems that power things like A/B testing, Web analytics, recommendations, and a variety of data-driven products. We are constantly working to scale up our systems to keep up with Etsy’s growth, we are always looking for ways to add new capabilities to support an ever-widening set of data applications. We are part of the Data Engineering group, giving us a clear view of how these platforms support analytics and data science.
- You're a software engineer with a background in distributed systems like Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, or ElasticSearch.
- You understand the difference between a script that runs locally and a functioning production system, and you have the judgement to decide when it's worth the time to build the latter.
- You're excited about Etsy’s marketplace and want to discover new ways to improve it through the use of data. We like candidates who are curious, enthusiastic, responsible, and generous.
- You understand that being an effective software engineer is as much about communicating with people as it is about writing code.
- You can write maintainable, idiomatic code in multiple languages, including one JVM-based language.
- You are capable of successfully building and evaluating a proof of concept using open source software.
- You have hands on experience working with data processing platforms like Hadoop, Kafka, Storm, and Spark.
- You can function as a developer evangelist, promoting and explaining our tools to other engineers from around the company.
Interested in joining the team? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value individuality and variety, so make sure to tell us what you’re all about. If you have an online presence (blog, Twitter, Facebook), send it along. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
Etsy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.