Senior Product & Commercial Counsel
Etsy is seeking a product & commercial attorney to join its global Legal team. This position will be a key advisor to Etsy’s product teams and will provide transactional legal support to Etsy’s growing global business.
The legal team works across our offices worldwide, to provide timely and business-savvy legal advice.
We help teams that design products, we draft contracts and policies, advise engineers and leadership, advocate externally, and handle disputes to protect Etsy and our users. We support Etsy’s growth by delivering legal and business know-how with a great work ethic. We balance sound business and legal discernment and counsel a wide range of clients on commercial contract strategy, from start to finish.
The position is located in Brooklyn, NY and will report to the Assistant GC and Director of Legal, Commercial.
About the Role
- We advise product teams as they design groundbreaking products and tools, balancing commercial, marketing, compliance and privacy concerns. Answer new questions, tackle uncharted problems, and work with business teams to meet the needs of our dynamic environment
- We review, draft and negotiate a range of US & international commercial agreements (especially experience negotiating indemnities, limitations of liability, intellectual property rights, software services agreements, etc).
- Continuously improve our Legal Ops. Follow, improve and develop scalable processes for all stages of the contract lifecycle.
- You'll partner with internal teams you work with, others in legal, and outside counsel, through clear communication and effective project management.
- We are a global business and we identify, understand, and manage international legal and regulatory risks related our business.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a state bar (preferably NY or CA) and are qualified to work in-house in New York.
- You have 6+ years experience, ideally at both a law firm and in-house. Your experience has focused on issues related to product development for tech and e-commerce companies. You have handled a wide portfolio of technology, operational and commercial agreements, and have developed deep knowledge in some areas.
- Your experience with product development issues, include: web and mobile app development, privacy (US and international regs), intermediary liability, Ad technologies, cookies and trackers, EU and FTC regulations, COPPA, accessibility, commerce and payment regulation, SAAS and IaaS, open source, intellectual property protection and licensing, DMCA practices and procedures, and more.
- You have spent time advising engineers and product managers on tech product development in a high velocity environment.
- You have experience being the primary point of contact with clients, and taking the lead in managing the legal side of a project.
- You are an effective communicator -- verbally and in writing. You can speak to technical experts or business leaders in plain English, without legal jargon.
- You should understand and be hardworking about Etsy’s business and mission as a global marketplace for creative entrepreneurs.
- You know when to say “no”, “yes” or “maybe, but...” and when to escalate. You are mindful that the company is your client, and you are savvy in your advocacy for and protection of your client.
- You pay attention to detail and have strong organizational skills.
- Your experienced in business, negotiation and presentation skills. You can read a spreadsheet and build a deck –– you should also be able to analyze and communicate the information into a simple, effective message to others.
- You are a standout colleague. Your instinct when new work comes in is to volunteer to help, you are excited by new projects, you shouldn’t be afraid to ask or answer a question, and you step up when a colleague needs a second set of hands.
- You embrace goal setting and accountability. You know how to multitask and you have excellent time management skills.
- You could work in many places, but you want to work at Etsy because you recognize that having the chance to contribute impactful work and grow a company with an amazing mission is a rare opportunity.
Interested in working with us? Send us a cover letter and your resume explaining why you’d be great for the job. We value your unique talents and point of view, so feel free to tell us what you are all about. And if you write, draw, craft, or contribute to something you’re proud of, we’d love to hear about it.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status.
Back to top