Senior Manager, Applied Machine Learning
- New York, NY
Etsy is the global marketplace for unique and creative goods. We build, power, and evolve the tools and technologies that connect entrepreneurs with buyers around the world. As an Etsy employee, you'll tackle unique problems alongside talented coworkers committed to Keeping Commerce Human. We're large enough that you'll focus on meaningful, complex challenges, but small enough that you can make a rewarding impact.
The Applied Science organization at Etsy is seeking a senior technical leader who can build and unify Etsy's machine learning strategy for leveraging machine learning to support personalization and discovery products across Etsy! In this role, you will collaborate with leaders across multiple product functions to use machine learning approaches that help us holistically understand each buyer, from their lifestyle or aesthetic taste, to their current browsing or shopping mission. This understanding would help us build a consistent and personalized experience for new and existing buyers to better navigate the breadth of Etsy's immense, one-of-a-kind catalog, especially when they do not have the words to describe what they are looking for.
In this role, you will manage and grow multiple squads of applied scientists and machine learning engineers who are responsible for translating state-of-the-art research into deployable e-commerce products that have a tangible impact on Etsy's user-facing products. As a senior applied science leader, we expect you to have proven machine learning, engineering, and leadership skills in order to drive technical vision while staying connected to the details. We also expect you to have relevant leadership and communication experience needed to excel in a fast-paced, cross-functional, and impact-driven environment.
Example projects your teams would work on:
- Developing customer segmentations
- Modeling user interests and communities
- Defining and understanding user's aesthetic styles
- Identifying trending topics and lifestyles
- Personalizing ranked content
We're also open to remote hires within all U.S. states except Hawaii and Alaska.
Many Etsy roles are open to remote candidates, and you'll be able to identify which ones within the location header of each job description. For candidates who will work remotely from Colorado, visit thislinkfor information related to Colorado's Equal Pay for Equal Work Act.
- 4+ years of management experience, and at least 2 years of managing managers in the area of applied science or machine learning engineering teams
- 2+ publications or serving as a program committee in the last 5 years at credible applied machine learning conferences, such as KDD, Recsys, etc..
- Building and leading cross-functional technical teams. Prior experience in navigating in a matrix organization is a strong plus.
- Proven partnerships with product managers and driving strategy and vision for applying state-of-the-art machine learning technology in live products.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills with both technical and non-technical partners. Presentation and writing samples will be required during the interview process.
- M.S/Ph.D. in Computer Science or related engineering/quantitative fields
If you're interested in joining the team at Etsy, please send a cover letter and resume telling us why you'd be right for the position. As you've hopefully seen already, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don't want you to be like everyone else - we want you to be like you! So write to us and tell us what you're all about.
At Etsy, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We encourage people from all backgrounds, ages, abilities, and experiences to apply. Etsy is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy or caregiver status, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application and interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. While Etsy supports visa sponsorship, sponsorship opportunities may be limited to certain roles and skillsets.
Back to top